Boys
in the wood
Episode
3
Enviro-mental
CAST
LIST
ALLY
IAN
JASON
JENNY
CATHERINE
SUSAN
JOE
SHAZ
DAZ
EWAN
WASTER
MINISTER
PROTESTOR
PROTESTOR
2
SCENE
1: Ally’s car. Driving round outskirts of city. Early Sunday morning.
Litter
everywhere. Turns off towards The Clyde .
Masses of waste metal from closed shipyards. Fumes from chemical factory belch
into the sky. Bleakness everywhere.
Waster
stumbles in front of the car, causing It to screech to a halt. Lands on bonnet.
Ally gets out car, furious.
ALLY: Mind where you’re
going you! You nearly scraped the motor!
WASTER (brushing himself down): Aye, that’s
typical that is.
ALLY: What do you mean,
“typical”?
WASTER: Well, it’s a sad
indictment of today’s modern society that the common man has no time for his
brother.
ALLY: What do you mean? You
are most certainly not any brother of mine.
WASTER: You don’t give a
monkeys, pal, whether I’m hurt or no’. It’s all about me, me, me and my
possessions. In this instance you care more about your car than whether I’ve
suffered any severe bodily damage. Not even to mention the mental damage you
might have inflicted on my rather delicate psyche.
ALLY: Aye maybe. But this
car’s only two years old. And you are a waster.
WASTER: How dare you call
me a waster. How dare you.
ALLY: Well, you look like a
waster to me.
WASTER (offended): The
last thing I do is waste anything. I search the bins day and night looking for
scraps. I eat and drink anything I can get ma hands on. I use old bits of
cardboard for ma home I use newspapers for my bed. Waster indeed. You’re the
waster. No’ me.
ALLY: Aye right mate. How
am I a waster?
WASTER: Just look around
you pal. Look around ye. See all this? Waster
waves his arms around pointing out litter strewn everywhere, over flowing bins,
the chemical factories, the scrap heaps.
That’s your doing, that is.
You are the waster. Take what ye want when ye want then throw the rest away.
ALLY: Och, go and bugger
off you twisted pariah of society that you are.
WASTER: Mark my words.
You’re the waster. You’re the waster.
SCENE
2. Jason and Suzie in church. Morning.
MINISTER: Verily. Verily. I
say unto ye, the meek shall inherit the earth. And so endeth today’s lesson.
Let us pray.
JASON: Wake up Sooozin.
Wake up. He’s finished.
SUZIE: What? Ah oh. Amen to
that, Lord.
At
the vestry, Suzie and Jason last to leave. Shaking hands with minister.
JASON: That was a very
thought provoking sermon, minister. I like the way you compared and contrasted
downtown Bethlehem
with Edinburgh
city centre. An innovative approach. Entertaining, educational and
inspirational all at the same time. Must be great to be empowered with Gods’
direction and to enthuse his flock in such a knowledgeable yet humble manner.
MINISTER (wondering if he’s taking the piss): Aye
aye. Er, Thank you.
JASON: Course, I’m in a
similar line of work myself.
MINISTER: Oh are you?
JASO: Yes. Jesus and me go
back a long way. Known him since I was a boy. I will make you fishers of men,
fishers of men. Come with me and I will make you…ouch!
Receives
kick from Suzie.
MINISTER: What line of work
are you in?
JASON: Same as Jesus’s dad.
Not the God dad, the other one. His sort of real dad. Can I say that? Obviously
God was his real dad but he also had the dad with the sperm bit. You know the
Joseph dad. Carpenter.
MIISTER: Oh. You’re a
carpenter?
SUSAN: No. He assembles
flat packed stuff from Ikea.
MINISTER: Oh.
SUSAN: Aye and he’s gonnae
need a few miracles to make some sales.
JASON: Just trying to make
a few million, minister. Financial security in this day and age is what’s needed
and then there’s a package holiday in Kilimanjaro that we’re looking into,
saving up for that as well as a new 3 piece suite…
Jason
and Suzie walk off smiling.
MINISTER (calling after
them): Remember, the meek shall inherit the earth. A foolish man chases the
material things of the world.
SCENE
3: Catherine’s flat. Morning in bed. Ian smoking cigarette.
CATHERINE: Lover?
IAN: Yes, my little sex pot
of fluffy fun? That was great, eh doll? Um ah or um ah no an Adonis.
CATHERINE: C’mere. I want
to whisper in your ear.
IAN: Oh, sounds sexy.
Grrrrrrrr.
CATHERINE: Did you put the
bins out?
IAN (deflated): Aye. Ah did it last night.
CATHERINE: Yes, but did you
do it properly this time?
IAN: What do you mean?
CATHERINE: The new bins.
Grey for general household waste. Yellow for bottles and plastics and brown for
papers and cardboard. Then there’s the two green bins for garden waste.
IAN: Whit? We don’t have a
garden.
CATHERINE: That’s no’ the
point dear. If we get any grass on our shoes or on our doorstep we should put
it in there. And they only cost 100 pounds for the year.
IAN: What! Are you mad?
CATHERINE: No, darling.
It’s the environment. We must do our wee bit. Did you sort them out then,
darling?
IAN: Noh a bloody well
didnae ah just shoved the black bin bags in the nearest bin. Ah don’t know if
it was green, grey or yellow wi’ polka dots on it.
CATHERINE: You’ll get into
trouble.
IAN: Environment.
Environment. What rubbish. Ha ha. Rubbish! Do you get it? Rubbish!
SCENE
4: Outside World of wood. Morning.
Large
crowd gathered with placards protesting about trees being damaged.
Ally
has the Waster weighing heavily on his mind.
PROTESTOR (seeing Ally’s car pulling up): Boooo!
Scum! Boooo! Scum!
ALLY: What is all this
about?
PROTESTOR: Save the trees.
Scum! Booo!
ALLY: Out my way. I like
trees. What are you on about?
PROTESTOR: You’re killing
trees.
ALLY: I most certainly am
not.
PROTESTOR 2: Yes you are. Trees
are being killed to fill your greedy bourgeoisie pocket. Not only that, for
every tree that’s chopped down to make your furniture, which I heard is crap by
the way, there’s a 1 % depletion to the ozone layer. You’re killing the planet.
PROTESTORS: Murderer! Murderer!
Murderer!.
ALLY: Out my way or I’ll
call the police!
PROTESTORS: Save the
Amazon! Save the Tundra! Save Vickie park!
PROTESTOR 2: (conspirationally to Ally) Listen, I know
it’s not your fault. I know you’ve just got a harmless wee furniture shop in
the West End , trying to compete with the big
boys. I admire you. Honest I do. Even if your stuff is shite. It’s just that we
need something to complain about, you know. We’re not your average crusty CND,
Green Peace hippies. We’re all professional, well qualified people. Wee Roddy
over there (pointing to furious protestor
dressed to the nines in Burberry), he’s a corporate lawyer. Used to be a
football casual but got a banning order. This is his relief. Same with Bobby
over there, he’s a heart surgeon. Me, I’m a physics lecturer at the Uni. My
passion is arson really, I’ve just come along to help with numbers, you know. Cause
a disturbance, hopefully get a riot or two, maybe a wee bit of mindless
violence. Been gagging for some action for months. Not a sausage since they
held the G8 in Perth .
We just try to spice things up a bit, you know. Next week we’re picketing the
chippie. Anti-potato week. That should really kick off. Up in flames maybe. So,
don’t take it personally.
ALLY: Oh, right. I see. I
think.
PROTESTOR 2: Is it Ok if I
assault you?
ALLY: No, it bloody well
is…
Protestor
2 punches Ally hard on the nose.
Protestor
1 rushes over.
PROTESTOR (to protestor 2): What’s going on here,
Bernard? Is this man verbally abusing your mind? Did he physically harass you?
Cos you’ve got witnesses here.
PROTSTOR 2: Aye. He did.
Scum! Scum! Scum! Save the planet!. Save the trees! Scum! Scum! Scum! Boo!
Ally
scrambles into shop whilst being shoved and pushed about.
Scene
5: Inside the shop.
Jas
& Ian are hiding in the kitchen. Police have arrived outside and a full
scale riot is kicking off. Ally crashes in, locks the door and rams a wardrobe
in front of it.
ALLY: Bloody hell. What a morning. What a morning.
(Hears whispering from the kitchen. Assumes some protestors have broken
in and are going to ambush him. Picks up a chair…)
Right ya buggers. Get ready
for this.
Hits Ian heavily over the
head.
IAN: Arrrrgh. What was that
for?
ALLY: Oh it’s you, are you
OK?. Thought it was some of those nutters outside.
IAN: Arrrgh.
ALLY (spying Jas, crouching behind bin). And what exactly were you two
doing in here, anyway?
JAS: Er. Washing the floor?
ALLY: To think I’m getting
harassed and battered out there whilst you two goons are in here hiding. So
much for best mates. Right, emergency meeting right now.
Three
gather round table. Ian and Jas’s heads are down with guilt.
I’ll start by summarising
my morning so far. Knock down a waster who gives me abuse for ruining the
planet. Arrive at this joint to get told I’m wanted on Crime Watch for two
thousand tree murders, get bopped on the nose, come into work and find my best
mates hiding in the kitchen as they’re scared of getting a doing from some
environmental protestors.
JAS: Well, on a similar note I spent a morning in
church learning about...
IAN (interrupting): Aye. Well Ah did something profound too.
JAS: Oh, what was that?
Writing a letter to the Prime Minister describing urban decay in the 18th
century and how it influences Brussels
investment plans for the European community? A bit of Zen meditation perhaps,
releasing inner thoughts, spiritual feeling and addressing your mind body
balance?
IAN: Noh. Ah put the bins
oot.
ALLY: Ha ha. So, what?
IAN: Putting the bins oot
is not the job it used to be. No it isnae. For a start there’s aboot ten
different ones, each of them for different things. You need a degree in disposal
science to dae it. Ah found it quite challenging. And do you know something? Ah
enjoyed it.
ALLY: Yer arse.
IAN: Ah’ll tell ye
something else.
ALLY: I dread to think what
that is.
IAN: Ah agree wi’ all they
green protestor folks. Ah love the environment me. Ah love trees. Ah love
haricot beans. Ah love the moon and raindrops on a spring morning falling on
soft freshly mown grass. Good luck to the environmental militants.
JAS: Actually, I can see
where Ian’s coming from. The meek shall inherit the earth and it’s good to
complain. Indeed the very origin of Lutheran Protestantism stems from a baldy
man in Germany
not being too happy with the way things were going. Without whom we would not
be here to day and .
ALLY: Hold on a minute.
Hold on a minute. Are you two saying you actually agree with those nut-jobs
outside? And that this wee shop is killing the world? And it’s all right to
hook me in the face on a Sunday morning?
IAN & JAS: Aye, we do!
JAS: We were actually
hiding in here ‘cos we didn’t want our leader to notice us working here.
ALLY: What? You mean you
boys are part of that happy, hippy band of crusties?
JAS: Yes. Of course I am.
There is no flaw in their ecological behaviour, propositions and rationale.
IAN: Aye, me too. Peace and
love, brother.
ALLY: How long has this
being going on exactly?
IAN: Eh what time is it noo
(looking at watch). Aye aboot forty
two minutes. Is that right, Jas?
JAS (nodding): And something for you to think about, Ally. Rule number
2.5.8, page 325, paragraph 7, of the World of Wood constitution declares that
for any matter, irrespective of it’s triviality, such as whether Stella is
better than Heineken or ‘babs are better than Vindaloos, a majority vote wins.
In other words, Ian and I have decided we are going green.
ALLY: What?!!!!
IAN: Aye, that’s right. World
of Wood is no longer World of Wood. From now on, it is World of Good!
SCENE
6:Joe’s café.
Alley
way to side of the café is littered with bags of strewn rubbish. A large rat
runs out of one of the bins and scurries off.
SUZIE: (on mobile to Jas): Yep. Ok, whatever you
say, Love. Whatever you say. Bye bye. (cuts
him off mid-stream).
JENNY: What’s up?
SUZIE: Jas has been acting
very strangely today. Knew taking him to church would send him down the wrong path.
Takes everything far too seriously. He’s going all environmental now. And the
thing was, he slept though the whole thing. I had to wake him up.
JENNY: You’re joking. I
might start going to church again. Hats are all the rage these days and there’s
some gorgeous ones in the Kath Kitson catalogue.
SUZIE: Said Ian is too and
that Ally’s well peed off.
JENNY: Hmm, that I can
believe. Can’t see Ally being too concerned about the environment. His farts
cause enough air pollution to kill a planet let alone anything else. His carbon
footprint is the size of a herd of elephants smoking 200 hundred John Butlers, on
a transatlantic flight.
JOE (coming over and interrupting): Ah the mamma planet a. Take a good a
care of the rubbish a. Don’t use a too much a water a. Look after a mama earth
a and the big mamas (Looking at Suzie
lustily). Ah the big a mammas a. Ah save a the melone.
JENNY: Joe, you’re as a
nutty as a fruit cake.
JOE: Ah I no longer a sell
a da fruit cakes a. I only do a ryvita with a low calorie spread a. No a nuts a
in sight a, anymore a. It a healthy a.cafe a ah do a now a. No more a caffeine
a. Only herbal a tea and a fruity infusion a. Ian a has a told me a all about
it a. Save a da trees a. I will a save Italia. And the big melons a. Ian a has
a saved a ma life a. God save the Ian a.
SUSIE: Oh no. What have
they done? This sounds serious.
SCENE
7: Down pub
Ally
down pub; Shaz and Daz behind bar. Amazon pipe music is being played in the
background, place has a rainforest cafe feel. Punters are wearing CND and Green
peace t-shirts, long knitted sweaters.
ALLY (not noticing the change): Boys have gone bananas. They’re right
into this big environmental thing. Thank goodness you guys are open. Ah need a
bit of normality in my life.
DAZZA: Way aye man. What’s
wrong wi the environmental thing man?
ALLY: Och, no’ you as well.
It’s a bit extreme, is it no’?.
DAZZA: Aye, man. Ah’d never
go that far man. Neither would Shazza man.
SHAZZA: Is there any more
of that low cal nut roast left Dazza man? Ah only had three servings. Ah love
that sparkling mountain water too, fresh fae Peru man. Beats bevvy every day.
What can ah get ye Ally man?
ALLY: I’ll have a heavy and
a Scotch Pie n chips.
SHAZZA: Sorry man, pie and
chips is off man.
ALLY: Ok I’ll have haggis,
chips n peas.
SHAZZA: No that’s off too earth
brother man.
ALLY: Hmm. Gammon steak,
egg and chips.
SHAZZA: That’s no on
either.
ALLY: What exactly is on?
DAZZA: We’ve revitalised
the menu Ally man, to better reflect our customers needs. Ah can do ye ah medley
of seasonal produce from Linthligow wi a herb and tofu dressing. Nice wee dod
of cous cous on the side man. It’s a big seller man.
SHAZZA: Aye it’s delicious
man. Makes ye feel like a new man, man.
Dazza (panicked): Eh what do you mean Shazza man? Ahm yer man, man. Ah luv
ye man and ah thought we’d put the wee incident wi had wi Mary and the turnip behind
us man.
SHAZZA: No you ya daft man,
man.
DAZZA: Oh that’s alright
man. (whispering) Ahve goat a marrow
down ma trousers man.
SHAZZA (smooching up to Dazza): Oooh that’s ma favourite
vegetable man.
ALLY: For goodness sake,
can you two behave and get on wi yer job? What is that seasonal produce grub you’re
talking about, ahm starving.
SHAZZA: Carrots,
cauliflower and cucumber wi sauce man. We call it the three C’s.
DAZZA: Aye it’s a big hit
wi’ the fishermen!
SHAZZA: Ha Ha that’s a good
one, Dazza man. Get it Ally man? Three C’s like three seas, you know wi waves.
Sea like the letter C. Get it Ally man?
ALLY: (Shaking head, resignedly, looks round the pub and realises they’ve
converted) Yes. I get it. (slowly)
I get it. (slowly) I get it.
SCENE
8: World of Wood afternoon.
Shop
sign has changed to World of Good. Ian handing out leaflets, saying under new
management.
ALLY: To Ian. What all this
about, mate?
IAN: Just handing out some
promotional leaflets, you know alert the world to our new name, World of Good.
ALLY: (snatching one roughly from him) Let me see that! Let me see. Under
New Management? Under new management! You cheeky sod ye.
IAN: (to passers by) World of Good. Come in on folks. Come in and see.
It’ll do you a World of Good. C’mon in and don’t forget our early evening
lentil soup special. Everything hand crafted in South America
or second hand fae the Barras. Save the planet. Save the environment. Protect
our trees. Do yourself a World of Good.
Both
enter shop, Jas busy fixing a new toilet. It has a sink above the cistern.
ALLY: What the hell is that
monstrosity?
JAS: Thought you might like
it, matey. Saw it in Japan
a few years back. Absolutely ingenious. Know how when you empty your bladder or
evacuate your bowels and then cleanse yourself in order to be refreshed and
germ…
ALLY: Yes, I was potty
trained thirty five years ago.
IAN: Whit he’s trying tae
say, Ally, is it’s a waste of good water, washing yer hands after you’ve
flushed the toilet. It should be the other way round.
ALLY: Eh? What do you mean?
Wash your hands then flush the toilet?
Ian: Exactamondo but with
one small beautiful addition.
ALLY: What? You can sing a
nursery rhyme at the same time? Oh the grand old duke of York he had ten thousand men. Ah don’t think
so. You boys have really got yer heads up yer bums.
IAN: No. Listen, Ye wash
yer hands in this here sink above the toilet. The waste water from there fills
the cistern. Then when you want tae send yer pee or dump doon the Swanee,
simply flush in the normal manner. Ye’ve used half the amount of water. Get it?
JASON: Sheer genius.
ALLY: Oh, I see.
IAN: Look, here’s an
example (lifting the toilet lid to reveal
a large turd.) One ah prepared earlier (stands
back proudly). What a beauty. Is it all set to go now, Jas?
JAS: Yes. By my
calculations the pressure valve is sufficient for a ten litre flush over a drop
height of 50 cm, with a flow velocity of approximately 8.5 metres per second. Your
turd looks like a four pounder to me so should be fine.
IAN: Ok, I am an innocent
punter. (puts on posh voice) Oh
that’s such a relief to have dropped that four pound browner. Let me just first
wash my hands with that lily of the valley soap from the ever so expensive
dispenser fae the Himalayas . What a lovely
environmental friendly fragrance. I will now dry my hands and then flush the
chain to send my greasy big jobby on it’s vacation.
Ian
pulls chain rapidly. Water explodes all over Jas and Ian’s face and clothes.
The turd lands on Ian’s right shoe.
ALLY: Ha ha ha. You couple
of idiots. I can see that’ll be a great success.
IAN: Just you wait and see!
Just you wait!
SCENE
9: Catherine flat. Morning
Birds
are chirping happily outside the window. Sun is shining through. Catherine
labouring heavily:- doing hand washing and drying with mangle. Washing machine
can be seen through window lying abandoned on the green.
Suzie
and Jenny lazing on the sofa flicking through “home improvements” mags.
CATHERINE: Oh, such a
beautiful morning. What a wonderful world.
JENNY (to Suzie): Is she OK? Seems like she’s gone a bit nutty.
SUZIE: Think Ian’s been on
her case about the green stuff. The whole place has gone mad.
JENNY: Are you sure she’s
not just hungover or something? You know how she can’t handle her bevvy.
SUZIE: No, it’s the
environment stuff, I’m telling you. Jas has gone nuts too.
JENNY (shouting to Catherine):
Are you sure you need to do all this hand washing? There is a better way, you
know. It’s called a washing machine.
CATHERINE: Oh no. It’s a
joy and it uses much less water and electricity than a washing machine, so it
really helps the planet.
JENNY: Don’t tell me, Ian’s
been preaching the gospel to you.
Outside
some neds start jumping on the washing machine.
CATHERINE: Boys, please
leave it alone. You’re creating noise pollution and damaging the grass, that
has a serious impact on the food chain. Just think of the poor wee worms.
Neds
flick her vickies and do a moonie.
CATHERINE: Honestly,
youngsters these days. They have no idea about the environment. So abusive as
well. How about you girls, have you seen the light and changed your wicked
ways?
JENNY: What do you mean?
I’m completely friendly. Even my fur coat was made from a community of poor Eskimos
who’d bludgeoned three seals to death. It really would have helped them. And my
crocodile shoes and handbag combo came from a poor old croc who had severe
dental issues. It was an act of kindness, honestly.
CATHERINE: What about all
that excessive heat you use on your tanning bed and your hair drier? It all
damages the earth you know. And you too, Suzie with the TV in every room. It’s
really not needed. You can just sing to yourself for entertainment.
JENNY: There’s no way I’m
not using a hair drier. Environment or no environment. Anyway, Ally doesn’t
give a monkeys, so I’m not hassled.
SUZIE: Jason does give a
monkeys and is nagging me non stop but I just tell him his football sticker
collection is bad for the environment as it uses adhesives. And they’re made
from horse glue.
JENNY. Oh is that right?
Didn’t know that.
SUZIE: I don’t either. I just
made it up to keep him quiet.
JENNY: Ha ha. Two fingers
to the planet, I say. Live life to the full. If God didn’t want us to be tanned
he wouldn’t have invented Jodie Marsh and silicone boobies, or curly wurlies
for that matter.
SUZIE: That’s right, and he
wouldn’t have invented shopping malls or massages from those hunky boys that
work down the gym.
JENNY: Oh yes. That’s a
good point. Now they’re very good for my “oh zone” layer. Ha ha ha. As for
water saving, I do my bit by having a regular colonic irrigation.
SUZIE: I don’t know,
there’s some planetary limitations there though, surely.
JENNY: Hmm. What do you
mean?
SUZIE: Think about it. It
only cleans Uranus.
Jenny
and Suzie both laughing. Catherine continues to happily slave away.
SCENE
10: World of Good.
Ambience
of calm. Jos sticks and candles everywhere. Ian and Jas dressed in Khaftans and
sandals. Catherine, Jenny and Suzie arrive for a look round.
IAN: C’mon in earth
mothers. Come in, come in and inspect my wares, purely in a biblical sense, les
dolls. OK. I know it’s difficult when ye look at me but put all yer carnal
thoughts aside. Over to the left here we have the Peruvian section, everything hand
crafted by the natives of the Ingoogooo
Forest and assembled here
by our very own wood brother, Jason.
JAS: Oh, you mean the stuff
I bought in Ikea?
IAN: Shhhhhhhh. Not Ikea,
not Ikea. Fae Peru ,
remember? Peru .
JAS: Oh yes. Forgive me.
Peru. I get so confused between Finneston and Lima . Whilst being thousands of miles apart
there are similarities between them particularly when one considers the appalling
social depravation per head of capita within a two hundred meter radius of the Clyde .
JENNY: Oh, it’s very nice.
I must say. Ally and I could do with some new stuff for the flat. Maybe we
could get some. Presumably we’d get a 50% discount.
IAN: Well, that’s not the
case ahm afraid, doll. Ally has walked out as he does not care aboot our poor
wee planet and the damage us humans are causing it. Sob sob. So, in other words
no discount for you doll. Ok?!
And for those of you on a
tighter budget (looking at Suzie) we
have the second hand section all the way from the East end of bonny Glasgow . I can see you’re
impressed. Not only that but we have a zero tolerance to foul language and
abusive behaviour. We preach peace and harmony. Jos stick anyone? Jas be so
kind and get these ladies some nettle tea and figs.
CATHERINE: Excuse me, I’m
just going to nip to the loo.
IAN: Aye, no problem, no
problem. It is all working ok now, Jas?
JAS: Confirmed, captain
green. Flush facility is now in full flow.
Catherine
heads to khazi. Moments later she comes out.
CATHERINE: I can’t get it
to flush.
IAN: Don’t worry, dear.
It’s a bit stiff at times. I’ll do it for ye.
Ian
goes in and gives a mighty pull on the chain. Explodes again and he gets
covered in muck. Furiously stamps back into shop.
Jas, come here ya useless
bastard that ye are. Ahm gonnae kill ye!
SCENE
11: Pub.
ALLY: Aye that salady
stuffs no’ bad. Goes pretty well wi’ the Butcome bitter.
DAZZA: Way aye man, what
did ah tell ye man? It’s awl the rage man. And that beer’s a real ale man. None
o’ your chemical shite in there man. It’s all natural.
ALLY: Natural is good ah
suppose.
DAZZA: Aye man it is man.
It’s like them birds wi the big plastic tits man. Its no right they’re no
natural.
ALLY: Never heard you
complaining about them before. And you’re the one that does the big tits strip
night, with 100% boobies guaranteed 42 DD. You’re not telling me they’re real
now are you?
DAZZA: No man ah have mended
ma evil ways. Look at this man.
DAZZA show new advert from
stripper. Oh natural. All the strippers have real boobs, even if they are like
fried eggs, at Dazzas bar.
ALLY: Er are you sure the
punters will go for that? Maybe you should leave out the fried egg bit. And
it’s “Au Naturelle” not, “oh natural.”
DAZZA: Na man. It’s
natural. And the fried eggs make it seem a bit more risky ya know. Like
unhealthy. Ah couldnae very well say burds wi’ lightly poached eggs could a
man? What sort of a filthy pervo are ye man. Clean up yer act. Clean up yer
act.
SCENE
12: Minister visits shop.
JAS: Hello minister.
Welcome to my humble abode. As the Good man from Galilee
says, this is my house of many mansions. Although we only have a broom cupboard
and minI-khazi in the back. Please partake of my simple but delicious lentil
hot pot. Come, let us break bread.
MINISTER: Oh, thank you.
Very pleased to see you have put your worldy thoughts behind you, son. Money is
the root of all evil.
JAS: Oh yes. Indeed. Just like the parable of the
good sower, I have repented my ways and sown my seed down the straight and
fallow path.
MINISTER (hi tec phone ring): Excuse me, my son.
JAS: Oh, is that one of
those hi tech. ipod phone itunes iballs gizmos that can email dangle berries
and I casts? Wow. Always wanted one of them but couldn’t afford it.
MINISTER (ignoring Jas) Yup. Hello. Farquar here.
Right I see. I see. Hmmm. Could be tricky. Let me think now. Let’s release the
equity in the Dominican property then re-mortgage at a fixed rate on the Monaco
apartment, we should have enough collateral to expand the pent-house in Cheltenham . Don’t you agree, dear? Good. Toodle pip. Oh,
whilst your at it. Get hold of the hedge fund manager and transfer 200K into
the high income trust. No, no, don’t panic, it‘s ok dear. I know things are
getting tight but don’t worry. Look, of course, you can keep the Versace dress.
Yes and the Tiffany necklace. Yes, yes. Uh uh uh. Yes of course we approve of
the new motorway across the green land valley. Remember dear old Edward on the
committee is a very good friend. Must dash dear, helping the mentally poor and needy
In some grot spot. Yes, I know someone’s got to do it. There’s some real sickos
out there.
JAS (musing heavily): Yes,
there are indeed. Yes, there are.
SCENE
13: Joes cafe
JOE: Ally man a what a is a
the matter a man? You cannot a get a da stiffy man a? Don’t a worry Joe a got a
good a drugs a that make you a hard as a brick a all a the night long a. Or so
a friend a told me a. Here is a couple a to keep you going a. He a accidentally
a left a them here a. When he a was in here a. Err a having a coffee a.
Joe
pulls out a large bag of purple pills and pushes them to Ally under the table.
ALLY: Joe I don’t need any
bloody pills for shagging , it’s not that at all, it’s all those bloody
environmental save the planet people that are grinding me down. Oh no oh no.
Waster
arrives in café spies Ally and sits down at adjacent table.
WASTER (grinning): Fancy seeing you here.
Thought MacDonald’s or KFC would be more your thing rather than a humble café.
JOE: It’s a no a humble a
café. And be a careful a you smell a very bad a.
WASTER: Aye ah might smell
of natural life. You boys smell of greed, hatred and gluttony. Well, are you going
to buy me a coffee then (to Ally)?
ALLY: No. I am certainly
not. Why would I buy you, of all people, a coffee?
WASTER (affronted): Cos you nearly killed me
this morning. it’s the very least you can do.
JOE: Ah’ll a get you a
coffee waster man a but a leave a Ally alone a. He has a very bad a day a.
First of all a he runs down this a smelly old a tramp a (waster looks
harshly at Ally) then he gets attacked by a baying a mob a then his a mates
a turn on him a , his a wife a spend a all the money a and he a cannae even get
a decent lunch a doon the boozer a.
WASTER: Oh, my heart
bleeds, it truly does.. Do you know what sort of day I’ve had? Ah’ll tell ye.
Some poncy toff drives his car right into me nearly knocking me into tomorrow.
Do I get an apology? do I get an apology? No, I most certainly do not. Do I get
compensation? No I do not. Then I have to spend four hours At Argyle Street
underground wi a wee whippet I borrowed and beg for dosh whilst singing “Roll
out the barrel”. Do you know how much I made? Have a guess. Well, I’ll tell ye,
24 pence and a can of Pedigree Chum. Then ah get back to ma gaff round the back
of the bins and somebody’s trashed it. All ma possessions gone. I had a quarter
of a raw onion to have for my dinner as well tonight and it’s gone. Gone. So
don’t you talk to me about having a bad day.
ALLY: Hmmm.
WASTER: Now all I really
need is some compensation.
ALLY: Compensation?
WASTER: Aye, for ma
injuries. For the road crash.
ALLY: No chance. Do you
think I was born yesterday?
WASTER: You must have a
heart of stone, mate. And do you know something?
ALLY: (wearily) What mate?
WASTER (leaving cafe) I feel sorry for ye.
Ally
left alone at table heavily pondering about the waster, the planet, Dazza’s bar
and all environmental.
ALLY (Muttering to himself and then smiling): Well if you can’t beat
them, join them!
SCENE
14: Catherine’s flat. Catherine in bed exhausted from all the hand washing.
Jenny Ironing. Suzie putting wash loads through mangle. Both acting as nursey
and feeling guilty for not helping.
CATHERINE (ringing bell by bedside): Could someone
just get me another lemonade? I’m dying of thirst here.
JENNY: Of course,
Catherine. Coming right up. Would you like two or three ice-cubes this time?
CATHERINE: (faked coughing and spluttering) Oh, let
me think. I’ll go for five, please.
JENNY: OK. Starfish or
pineapple shape?
CATHERINE: Pineapple (cough, splutter). I need my pillows plumped
as well. They’re very uncomfortable. Oh, I think I’m going to faint. You
couldn’t do another wash load for me Suzie, could you? Cough cough.
SUZIE (sarcastically): No problem. Anything you say. Would you like me to
give you a bed bath, then a massage and perform Swan Lake
for you too?
CATEHRINE: Hmmmm. No, no
don’t go to any trouble. A bed bath would be fine.
SUZIE (to Jenny): That’s it, I’ve had enough of this environmental crap.
I’m getting that bloody washing machine back up here.
JENNY: Me too. No more
ironing for me. I’m calling for my cleaning lady to come over, she irons for only
ten pounds an hour.
SUZIE: And another thing
I’m going to tell Jason and Ian that they’re getting back to normal. We’re
putting an end to this once and for all.
JENNY: At least Ally’s
stayed well clear. I always said he was the sensible one. Not driven by any new
wave trends. He’s as my mum called him, a good old fashioned meat and potatoes
man.
SCENE
15: World of good
Shop is full of crap second
hand rubbish. Toilet is stinking. Flies everywhere. The new business is clearly
not working.
IAN:
(desperately trying to fix toilet again). That’s it. That is it. I’ve
had enough of the enviro rubbish. I’m finished with it.
JAS:
What do you mean moon brother? What about the planet, the fishes in the ocean,
the birds in the air, the bubbling streams and fields of snowdrops.
IAN:
Look mate, we cannae even flush a dump, never mind save the planet. Takings are
down. The place is stinking and the food is rank. Ah’ve lost about three stone
in two days. Cat’s in bed with exhaustion and am gagging for a bevy. Big fat
greasy bollocks to it, I say.
JAS:
Hmmm. I see where you’re coming from Earth soul brother. So eloquently put too.
IAN:
Stop calling me those stupid bloody names as well. They’re getting right on ma
jallops. As for this flaming outfit (rips off Kaftan and sandals and shoves
it in the bin). I’m finished with it.
JAS:
You’re right and that Jesus minister man from the church was a very sinister
man.
IAN:
Ye mean a sinister minister?
JAS:
Yep, very good. I didn’t like his hypochrial teachings regarding financial
comings and goings. In for a penny in for a pound. Might as well get back to normal
civilisation. I’m with you man. (takes off gear and shoves it in bin too).
IAN:
Ah feel better for that, already mate. Ally will be pleased. It’s no’ the same
when we’re not of one accord. Solidarity is what we need, my son. Solidarity.
Just like Leque Walencza.
JAS:
Totally agree, comrade. Let’s call him up and we’ll take him out for some
liquid refreshment and tell him our good news. Mind you, Leque Walencza had a
rather prominent moustache.
Just
then the front door opens. It’s Ally. Dressed in purple velvet hippy suit and
eating a bean burger. Epitomy of a typical environmentalist. Accompanied by
Waster, grinning wildly.
ALLY:
Peace boys. What do you think?
IAN
and JAS: Oh my goodness.
ALLY:
I have seen the light. I am fully converted to green dom. Please forgive my
lack of immaturity, my ignorance, my inferior knowledge to you God blessed pair
of friends. Dear friends. We are blessed.
IAN:
But we…
ALLY:
Hush brother. I know I did wrong. You were right, we must love the planet. We
must protect mother earth. We must love each other. Let us come together
brothers and pray. Let us provide shelter and nourishment for our dear lost
friend here (pointing to Waster).
WASTER:
Aye, a wee sausage roll wi chips and beans would good down a treat. And got any
that magic wee Carley Special lager – it’s made in Sweden is it no?
Ally
smiles warmly. Close with Jas and Ian looking at each other
incredulously, not knowing what to say, as Ally huddles them in a circle to
perform an earth chant.
No comments:
Post a Comment