Thursday, 3 January 2013

Episode 6: Proposal


Boys in the wood

Episode 6

Proposal
 

 

 

CAST LIST

ALLY

IAN

JASON

JENNY

CATHERINE

SUSAN

JOE

SHAZ

DAZ

ANDERSON

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SCENE 1: Jas and Suzie in parked car heading for home.

JAS: I’m really looking forward to making that Luftwaffe Messerschmitt model K-450 Z2E kit tonight. Nice bit of two pack epoxy adhesive, taking care not to spill any on the table Soozin, as we all know what glue can do to wood, don’t we now, nor to inhale any of the fumes, regulatory-wise considered a flammable irritant with ecological consequences for fish and fauna. Soozin? Soozin? I say Soozin? Are you OK Soozin?

Suzie looking dreamily out of car at a church wedding. Bride and groom smile radiantly as the perfectly dressed ensemble shower confetti on the happy couple.

Soozin. I say Soozin!

SUZIE: (still in a daze).Yes Jason?

JAS: I say Soozin, Soozin are you ok Soozin? Your eyes are all glazed, Soozin like you’re dreaming of an exotic holiday in Clacton or maybe Southend. I love Southend me, with the sand between your toes, Soozin as the sun beats down on your glistening blonde hair whilst you partake of a fruity cocktail, not too high in alcohol content mind as you know you’re only allowed 14 units a week and you’re probably there for 10 days, Soozin. Need to pace yourself, Sooozin, pace yourself, Soozin. That’s the game of life, everything in moderation. Moderation, Soozin. You Ok, Soozin?

SUZIE: Oh, it’s just that…

JASON: Yes, Soozin? Out with it, me young lover me lass me girl me beauty.

SUZIE: Well. Just look.

Jas looks over to happily wedded couple.

Will we do that someday, Jas?

JASON: Of course we will, Soozin.

SUZIE: Do you love me, Jason?

JASON: You know I do Soozin. I love you more than the hole in polo mints, more than the salt packet in salt and shake more than the stars forming a theatrical extravaganza illumination underneath a moon lit sky more than..

SUZIE: More than Bobby Zamora?

Jas pausing thinking deeply.

JAS: Yes, more than Bobby goal machine Zamora.

SUZIE: Well, what are you waiting for man? Are you a man or a mouse?

JAS: Soozin, that’s a very intellectual question that cannot be answered in a meagrely moment or two. When one considers the Darwinian origin of species theory there are a number of highly significant factors to consider and much debate would ensue.

Suzie looks at Jas steelily. Jas shuts up. He takes a deep breath and gets out of the car, opens the passenger door and gets down on one knee. Holds Suzie’s hand.

JAS: (Gulping) Do you Soozin Emily Gertrude Anderson nice dinner Soozin Smith take me Jason loving everything in a highly enthusiastic but slightly irritating manner Palace 0 Brighton 4 Gordon Smith Thwaites to be my fiancé?

SUZIE: Oh Jason, I thought you’d never ask. Of course I do. Gives Jas a kiss and pulls her phone out at the same time.

JAS: Oh thank goodness for that then. Let’s get home and get that Messerschmitt made.

Drive off at speed.

 

SCENE 2: Ally and Ian in world of wood discussing marriage: topic on radio.

IAN: Aye, that’s a load of pants that.

ALLY: Eh? What is?

IAN: That whole marriage malarkey. Listen to him rabbiting on. Commitment, expression of love, public declaration of devotion. Total bollox. I mean I’m totally devoted to my Wii – doesn’t mean I need to put a ring on it’s finger and walk about with it for the rest of my life. Anyway, I might want to play with something else someday.

ALLY: Aye like yer tadger. Mate – you’re a tosser. Weddings and marriages are nothing to do with us men. It’s for women. Since they were wee girls that’s all they want to do – fancy white dress and a dirty big cake. It’s all that Barbie’s fault. Filling their head with rubbish. Her and Jimmy Saville.

IAN: Aye, a suppose so.

Radio: And it’s regarded in today’s society that men who are in a serious relationship with their partner out of wed-lock for more than 1 year that cannot make a commitment in front of God are nothing other than immature. Living the bachelors’ life, drinking and playing computer games. Real men take the plunge and do the decent thing.

ALLY: Ha ha  - that’s you he’s talking about. Immature. No commitment. Rather play with their play station.

Ian looks angry and is about to blast Ally when Phone goes.

JAS: (hyper) Ally, is that you Ally?

ALLY: Aye, it’s me Jas.

JAS: How’d you know it was me?

ALLY: ‘Cos you phoned me.

JAS: Oh. Yes I did. Hmm. Good point, well made. What can I do for you my wise friend, astute, steady and eagerly ready for a new mornings events.

ALLY: What?! You phoned me. What do you want?

JAS: (Pause). Oh. Yes there you go again. Spot on, always on the ball. First in the tackle Hard but fair, reminiscent of a young Beckenbauer strolling through the game, nothing passing him, up and down, always thinking, always thinking.

ALLY: Jas! What is it?!!!! What do you want?!!!!

JAS: (Thinking hard.) Ah that’s right, it’s coming to me now. Pub pub pub. Watering hole, den of iniquity, ales and schnifters. Need to go to pub! We are celebrating, matey. You know Sooozin and me? Sooozin. I say Soooozin and me well she loves me Soozin does. Loves me, Oh a luv you Soooooooooozin I do. I love you Sooooooozin I do. I love you Sooooooozin I do. Oh Soooooozin I love you. Altogether now…..starts clapping and singing louder.

ALLY: Haud on a minute. Haud on a minute. Are you saying what I think you are saying?

JAS: All perceptive one, oh pinnacle of society oh rumbler in the jungle with a penchant for furniture assembly. Indeed, may I be so bold to declare on this bright and breezy, although winds are due to increase in a predominantly south westerly direction towards the latter part of the afternoon, that Soooooozin Emily Anderson and I Jason Bobby Brighton 3 Crystal Palace Nil nice one my son Thwaites are engaged to be married!

Ally turns white, drops the phone - it goes dead.

IAN: Ally, Ally are you ok? Is it your mum? Your dad? Oh no, don’t tell me there’s no Stella left in the flat.

ALLY: Noh, worse than that.

IAN: Whit we’re out of bog roll again? I told Jas to get more, he’s always forgetting that boy.

ALLY: No, much worse than that….he’s getting married!

Ian staggers around then collapses.

 

SCENE 3: Joe in café, happily cleaning tables. The song “Save your love ma darling” playing in the background. Pausing, he pulls a photo of Suzie from his chest shirt pocket and kisses it.

JOE: (singing) Save my love ma darling a save da ma luvva a. Oh yes a ma beautiful a Suzie a. Soon you will a be a all a mine a. With the morning a and the moonlight a star above a.

He opens drawer behind cupboard and unwraps a well hidden package. It’s a ring.

Ah da ring a. From ma mummy a in a Tuscan valley a. Mama Mama. Soona she a will be mine a Suzie a. Soon a she will a be all a mine a.

Kisses photo again and continues singing as clearing tables.

 

SCENE 4: Catherine, Suzie and Jenny in the flat together, Suzie gushing about engagement.

SUZIE:  Oh, ah can’t believe it. Jas proposed to me. Look!!!!! Completely out of the blue as well. Didn’t see it coming at all – he such an impromptu spontaneous guy and he wasn’t even steaming!

JENNY: (handing glasses of champagne around.) Hmmm.

SUZIE: We’re just going to have a simple wedding. You know, nothing flash; just a few family and friends and a honeymoon in Saltcoats -Jas says things are a bit tight after he bought us those matching cagoules from Millets for Xmas.

CATHERINE: Oh that’s so lovely, Susan. Congratulations!!!! So romantic as well.

JENNY: (muttering) Yes, middle of Byres road on a Saturday afternoon.

SUZIE: Sorry, what was that Jenny?

JENNY: Nothing.

SUZIE: No, what did you say?

JENNY: Huh, when I get engaged I want champagne, truffles, designer hand bags and the Eiffel tower!

SUZIE: You’re just jealous.

JENNY: Am not. I could get engaged any day if I wanted;  just not convenient at the moment. Ally and I talk about weddings every day.

CATHERINE: Oh, didn’t know that.

JENNY: Well, you wouldn’t, would you?

CATHERINE: Oh it’s just that, Ian said Ally said he’d rather be hit by a bus than get married as he’s too young to die.

JENNY: That’s total lies! Ally would marry me at the drop of hat!

SUZIE: Ok Mrs smartie pants…where’s your ring?

JENNY: Just ‘cos I don’t have a ring doesn’t mean I’m not getting married. In fact I’ll probably be married before you!

SUZIE: Prove it!

JENNY: OK then, I will (stomps out!).

 

SCENE 5: Boys down the pub: Ally, Daz and Ian – awaiting Jas

DAZ: You are joking, man. Ah cannae believe it man. And a thought Jas was the sensible one amongst you lot. The one with the brains.

IAN: Aye, such are the wicked and wily ways of women. Can bring a broken man to his knees. Alone, destitute, on the streets and with nothing more than distant memories of freedom.

ALLY: Nods in agreement. Mind you, I can see you getting married soon.

IAN: Me. Nae chance. I’d rather see Scotland lose a World Cup final to England than that. I’d rather there was no more beer in the world…I’d rather…

DAZ: If ye keep drinking the way ye keep drinking, there soon will be man! (serves Ian another pint).

IAN: continuing. I’d rather not see another water drop on a daisy on fresh spring morning…

ALLY: See – you’re soft in the head, man. You’ll be married in the next year, no doubt. Just like the guffer on the radio was saying. Someone like you, completely under the thumb with Catherine, is a guaranteed case. Can I be your best man?

IAN: (getting angry). Best man. Best man!? You’re more likely to be my worst man, for all that crap you talk. Standing up, hand on heart. I do solemnly swear I am not getting married. I tell ye, marriage is for women. I will stand fast. I will remain single. I am a man. I am a hunter. Say no! Only weaklings like Jas get married.

ALLY and DAZ give Ian a round of applause and slap him on the back.

ALLY: Well said son, that almost brought a tear to my eye. I’m choked up.

IAN: Thanks, mate. Needed to be said. Anyway, you’ll be married well before me.

ALLY: Me? No chance. Jenny’s not interested in getting married.

IAN: Aye, that’s no’ what a heard!

ALLY: Never. You’ll be wed before me. Guaranteed.

DAZ: Boys, boys. You’re getting loud. Calm it doon lads. This is a pub no a bingo hall. Then whispering ah’ll tell ye what men man. Why don’t you boys put a wee wager on it man. A bet like, eh.

IAN: Ahm no a betting man.

ALLY: Aye, that’s ‘cos you know ye’ll lose.

IAN: Awright ahll bet ye 10 quid you’re married before me.

DAZ: Ten quid man? Ten quid?

ALLY: Aye, lets say 500 quid if you’ve got any bollox.

IAN: 500 quid? Huh typical woman you are.

DAZ: Let’s call it a grand, lads. After all man it’s a life changing experience and the winner will need the money to go to the losers wedding!

IAN: Aye. Ok then. Ah could do with a thousand bar.

ALLY: Me too. Deal! Boys shake hands.

IAN: And what about you Daz? All smug there. You’re no’ exactly Mr and Mrs are ye? It might be you married next! In fact, I’m certain you’re more likely to be married than even Ally. Aye, it’s a deffo. You’ll be second Dazza!!!!

DAZ (angry with Ian): Away man. Ah’ll never get married. Shazza man and me have an understanding man.

ALLY & IAN: Shut it and put yer money where your mouth is!

DAZ: No way man! Gambling is for fools man. Ah cannae take risks like that ma. Ah need tae think o’ the business man. All this (waves arms around empty pub) could be gone.

ALLY & IAN: (nodding) aye fair enough, mate. But you could choose which one o’ us you think it’d be. So you’ve nothing to lose, err, apart from a grand maybe.

Jas: Good evening, good evening, good evening, my fine old matey heartys. Three of your most excellent ales young Dazza my hospitable landlord companion and one for yourself too, naturally. Always have to look after your host. Treat them like you like to be treated, I say. Best get some double malts in too, medicinal yet celebratory fluid. One might consider whisky as the ultimate beverage…

ALLY: Congratulations, mate! Well done. Ahm really proud of you, getting engaged and that.

IAN: Aye we were just saying what a fine tradition marriage is. You’re a very lucky man!

DAZ: There ye go lads. Best drink up man!

 

SCENE 6: In town; Shaz and Daz strolling along high street

SHAZ: Ahm starving man, Dazza man. Can we no’ go for lunch man?

DAZ: No way man. Ah told ye we don’t have any money man. Things are tight man. Anyway, it’s only 10 o’clock and ye had a dirty big breakfast o’ 4 black puddings, 3 sausages, 2 eggs, 6 hash browns, a tin o’ beans, a packet o’ mushrooms and 6 rounds o’ toast.

SHAZ: Ah true but it’s no ma fault that’s all ah could eat, wisnae hungry then man. But ahm starving noo man and there’s a new Thai just opened across the road man.

DAZ: Away man, how many times do ah need to tell ye man. Ye’re no getting any o’ that posh make up man, ye’re no getting one o’ they designer hand bags man and ye’re no getting that Versace dress man and you are most definitely not getting one of those Pandora bracelets man! So stop taking me roond these shops and stop asking for stuff man.

SHAZ: You’re a right tight arse, man. Ah should’ve listened tae ma mam man.

Walk along in silence. Suddenly across the road, Daz spots Ally and Jenny hand in hand entering jewelers shop.

DAZ: (muttering) ah the dirty wee man man. Ah knew it. Ah knew it! If only had put that bet on man. The mischievous smile gets phone out. Excuse me Shazza man just need to make an important call man.

DAZ: Hullo Ian man. It’s Dazza man

IAN: Aye what do ye want? Don’t tell me you’re engaged.

DAZ: Na na na . Nothing like that man, only women like you would do that man!

IAN (Red rag to bull): Ach away and boil yer heid. You’re the won that’ll be next. No’ me. No’ me ah tell ye!!!!

DAZ: Calm down, man. Ah was just thinking man that it’s no right you lads have put a bet on and ahm no’ in it.

IAN: Aye what are ye saying mate? I’ve got a shopful here. (Shop is empty).

DAZ: Well, I’d like to put a wee wager on man but just wi’ you

IAN: Just wi’ me? How does that work?

DAZ: Ah bet you Ally is next to get engaged. And ahll bet ye 2 grand.

IAN: 2 grand?! 2 grand?! Ah don’t have 2 grand mate.

DAZ: Aye ah thought so man. All talk and no action man.

IAN: But that’s daft. I’m betting with Ally that he’ll be engaged before me. Why should you bet with me?

DAZ: Errr, ah already asked Ally and he said no he wouldn’t let me bet. Just think what you could do with 2 grand man. If he’s next after Jason to get engaged you’ll get a grand anyway man.

IAN: Aye, right ah suppose so. Ah hudnae thought a that. Ah thought ye’d be first anyway. Then ah would get two grand. So I’ll either get 2 grand or 1 grand as ahm no getting engaged first! Aye right ye are Dazza man. Two grand it is. Although ahm no sure ah understand. So if you get engaged before Ally you owe me 2 grand. But if Ally gets engaged before you, I give you 2 grand.

DAZ: That’s right man. And you’ve bet against Ally so if he’s engaged before you, he gives you a grand. You’ve nothing to lose man!

IAN (completely lost) Aye right, ah suppose so. Right, deal, 2 grand it is mate!

DAZ: (picking up Shaz and kissing her ) Right big, bad, mental Shazza man!

We’re celebrating, man. Ah feel we’re gonna be in the money very soon, man! Let’s go shopping, man!

SHAZ: Oh Dazza, man! Can ah get wan oh they magic wee bracelets, man? They’re only 500 bar, man.

DAZ: You certainly can, man! There’s a wee jewelers across the road man!

As Shaz and Daz enter jewelers Ally and Jenny walk out, hand in hand and smiling blissfully.

ALLY: I’m glad that’s sorted at last, darling. (looking at watch) Only 5 pounds for a new battery as well.

JENNY: Yes, about time too if you ask me!

DAZ: (winks knowingly at Ally) – Oh been in the jewelers then man?

ALLY: Yes we have. Fancy seeing you two here. Then clicks. Thinks they’re going to buy a ring.

DAZ: On cloud nine are we man?

ALLY: Aye, ye could say that, mate. Thinking deeply. Nice to see you. Very nice to see you. We must be off! Oh, and mate.

DAZ: Aye, man.

ALLY: Congratulations, man!

DAZ: eh? Oh, eh aye and same tae you man! Yer a lovely couple man!

 

SCENE 7: in shop Ally goes to see Ian

ALLY: Hey mate, how’s it going pal.?

IAN: Aye ahm fine- nae thanks to you; I’ve been working my botty off single handed here all day!

ALLY: Sorry mate – had some business to attend to. I’ll put the kettle on and look here’s a donut for ye. It’s yer favourite, Boston Crème.

IAN: Oh, thanks mate. What are ye after?

ALLY: What do you mean? Just checking my old best mate is all right. Here, you take the tea and the bun and have a sit down, I’ll take care of things here.

IAN: Aye, all right. Ah suppose so.

Ally: Err mate?

IAN: (Warming) Aye mate, what is it?

ALLY: You know that bet we’ve got on it about who’s getting engaged after Jas?

IAN: Aye. What about it. Are you chickening out?

ALLY: Most certainly not!

IAN: Aye, ah knew it. Ah knew it. Ye are- you’re chickening out!

ALLY: No, I am certainly not. In fact, it’s the opposite. I’d like to spice it up a bit?

IAN: Whit do ye mean “spice it up a bit?”

ALLY: Well, you think I’ll be next right?

IAN: Aye, err, yes, sort of.

ALLY: Well ah think Daz will be next!

IAN: Aye, do ye now?

ALLY: Yes, I do.

IAN: What are you saying exactly?

ALLY: I want to bet you 2grand Daz will be first.

IAN: Och, no’ you as well!

ALLY: Eh?

IAN: Oh nothing. Nothing. Then thinks. Aye Ok, I’ll bet you 2 grand that you are engaged before Daz, making a total of 3 grand keeping the original bet we had.

ALLY: Original deal. Eh? Oh aye, aye, don’t worry about that. Oh no, ah mean aye. Aye. Ok. Deal!!!!.

Punter (Anderson) comes in. Miserable.

ANDERSON: Do you two work in here or not?

IAN: Work here?!– ah own the place monsieur. At yer service. How can ah help ye?

ANDERSON: Ah need a chest o drawers, a wardrobe, a bed and a table. Aye and some new Y-fronts and a tin o’ ham.

IAN: What do you mean Y-fronts ya perv? This is a furniture shop.

ANDERSON: (Sadly) Oh, ah wisnae sure.

ALLY: Oh aye, having a clear out are ye?

ANDERSON: Aye, ye could say that.

IAN: Well you don’t seem too happy about it, my friend.

ANDERSON: (Looks at them severely.) You two boys married?

IAN: Ally shake their heads.

ANDERSON: Aye a thought not. Got girlfriends?

IAN, ALLY nod heads.

PUNTER; Ah used to have a girlfriend.

IAN: (Suspiciously) Oh aye?

PUNTER: Aye. Lovely it was at first, lovely. Then we got engaged. Then we got married. Noo look at me. Noo look at me. Ahm oot on the streets. Needing to buy cheap crappo falling to bits furniture for ma bedsit. No even got a pair o’ pants to ma name!

IAN: Steady on! How dare you say that about this furniture. It’s no’ cheap.

PUNTER: Stay away from women ah tell ye, stay away! Yer doomed ah tell ye, doomed! Storms out.

IAN: Right, ahm off.

ALLY: What? It’s only 4 o’clock!

IAN: (gloomily) Aye, got to rush.

ALLY: Washing your hair are ye?

IAN: Noh. Dinner wi’ Cat. Something’s up – sounds serious. Pause. She’s getting all romantic.

ALLY: Oh aye. Right.

IAN: Why, what are you up to tonight?

ALLY: Dinner with Jenny. Something’s up – sounds serious. Pause. She’s getting all romantic.

Both then look at each other and gulp, thinking the same thing, viz: that the girlies want them to propose.

ALLY: Fancy a pint, mate?

IAN: Aye!!!!

Grab jackets and sprint out of shop. Lowering shutters with a flourish and banging down closed sign.

 

SCENE 8: Shaz and Daz in Jewellers

SHAZ: Aww the bracelet’s lovely, thanks Dazza man.

DAZ:  Full o the joys: Aye yer welcome pet, man.

SHAZ: Aww, just need a ring now.

DAZ: A ring?!. No, no, way man.

Shaza: Oh please, Dazza man. You would if ye loved me. Suzie’s got one. Jas is a real man, man. He proposed and everything man.

DAZ: Aye mebbes. Aye.

SHAZZA: Please man ahd do anything to marry you Dazza man.

DAZ: (To owner): Bet you’re doing good business today man with these, eh? (pointing to rings).

OWNER: Yes, just sold one to a lovely couple. They’re all the rage.

DAZ: Aha ha ha ha bet they are, man. Aye, give us one then, man.

SHAZ: Oh Dazza man, Dazza man! Does that mean we’re engaged?!

DAZ: Aye man it does man!

 

SCENE 9: Cat and Suzie in café with Joe

JOE: Ah can a resist it no longer a!

Joe flourishes a single red rose from behind his back, takes Suzies hand and gets on bended knee.

SUZIE: What?!!! What are you doing, Joe!!!!

CATHERINE: (startled) Think he’s going to propose!

SUZIE: Get away with you, woman!

JOE: Suzie a, ah love you a. You are a most beautiful a woman a in the world a. Do not a marry a that useless twat a Jas a Bobby Zamora Brighton a 5 a Palace nil a nice a one a ma son a.

SUZIE: (Embarrassed) Shhhhhh! You’re making a scene.

JOE: You a must a marry a me a it is a destiny a. I a feel it a in a ma heart a in a ma blood a in a ma toes a in my arms a ma legs a ma feet a and ma dangly bits a.

SUZIE: (Splutters laughing.) You don’t mean that, surely. Why should I possible marry you?

CATHERINE: Yes – good question Suzie. Leave her alone …oh and can I have another donut. She can’t marry you.

JOE: But a why a?

CATHERINE: Well you’ve ketchup stains on your apron, you talk funny and you have a moustache. Oh and she’s marrying Jas.

JOE: Ahhh my heart ah in torment. Suzie a please a. marry me a. I ah do anything for you a. Just a kiss a kiss a give me a kiss a and I will be yours forever a.

SUZIE (Feeling sorry for him): Oh, maybe just a wee one then but I’m still marrying Jas. I love him. He’s my man. He’s so wonderful.

Joe puckers up.  Eyes closed, smiling full of anticipation.

CATHERINE: What?!!!! Suzie, don’t!!!!!

Quickly she grabs the half-eaten donut and squashes it on Joes lips.

JOE: (Smiling in raptures, eyes still closed, head back. Rolls his tongue round his sugared lips.) Ah ah aha ah wonderful a. Even a better a than a dreamt of a. Like a sweet a droppings from a heaven, silky a and tasty a. Ah will never a forget a this a first kiss a.

CATHERINE: Neither will my donut.

JOE: Eh?

CATHERINE: Ah mean ah bet you wont. No one kisses like that. Can I have another donut now? This one’s got hairs on it.

She leans back in her chair and looks round. Face to the window she can see Jas peering in, face contorted with emotion. Catching her eye, he turns and runs.

 

SCENE 10: Ally and Jenny’s flat. Jenny has candle-lit dinner at table prepared and is dressed seductively, glass of wine in hand.

JENNY: Ah the master of the house, a Stella for sir!

ALLY: Hiya pal. Yes please! Phwooargh you look gorgeous, baby! Give us a kiss then, love!

JENNY: You don’t look so bad yourself my handsome man. So mature, so much potential.

ALLY: Errr. Right, thanks. Ah suppose ah ahm mature. What do you mean “potential?” Just need to nip to the khazi, back in a sec.

Walk forwards to the toilet door and tries to push it open. Stuck.

What’s happened to the door? Seems stuck.

JENNY: Hmmm don’t know.

ALLY: It’s like there’s someone in there.

JENNY: (Giggling)  Hmmm – maybe it’s engaged.

ALLY: Eh?

JENNY: Nothing. You know, engaged.

ALLY: Engaged! Who’s engaged?

JENNY: Is that a proposal? Aw darling! Darling, just when I thought you’d never ask. Of course I will, Of course I will!!!!

Smothers Ally before he can say anything.

Oh, I’ll just tell my mum the most excellent news. You drink up now.

Ally tries to protest. Jenny pushes him back down on the sofa.

JENNY: It’s OK darling, I’ll do all the talking you just relax you wonderful, wonderful man. I can’t believe we’re finally engaged! Oooooooo-eeeeee!

 

 

 

 

SCENE 11: Cat and Ian flat: Catherine dolled up to the nines.  Ian back from pub in exuberant mood.

IAN: Awwl right doll! You look hot, Smell good too. Are you up for some rumpy pumpy tonight or what! You lucky burd that ye are. C’mere and meet yer destiny!

CATHERINE: Aww Ian, you are terrible. You naughty man. Just you go to the toilet and freshen up, I’ll get dinner sorted. Here, here’s a wee whisky for you. Your favourite, that Glen Mcturkey stuff. Ah even put in a wee marachino cherry to make it look exotic.

IAN: A wee cherry? A wee cherry?! Aww, whit did ye dae that for doll? You know ah love they wee cherries. You’re some woman.

Walks towards toilet and pushes on door.

Ho! door is stuck What’s wrong with the door?

CATHERINE: (Rustling some paper from inside her blouse pulls it out and reads dead pan style). Oh, is the toilet door stuck?. Dear me. Dear me. I did not know that the toilet door was stuck. Err, is someone in there perhaps behind the toilet door?

IAN: Whit de ye mean someone in there? Its ma hoose, no’ a public convenience.

CATHERINE: (Fake laugh) Ha ha ha ha. Ha ha ha ha. Errr ha ha ha and ha ha ha ha. Maybe it’s engaged.

IAN: Noh, don’t be so soft doll it’s just stuck. Ian shoulder charges and bursts through the door. It’s ok now doll, don’t worry. Where did that dirty big brick come from behind the door?

CATHERINE: Don’t know dear. Take your time. Scrabbles wildly and whispers to herself as reading plan from Jenny. Right, if plan 1 fails go for plan 2. Plan2, plan2… what’s plan 2? Oh strip tease. Strip tease?!!!!. Turn lights off, put music on low and put man on chair and unbutton blouse and lean seductively over him

IAN: You all right doll?

CATHERINE: Aye, just you you sit sit down there a minute minute. Switches lights off.

IAN: What in the name is going on here?

Music goes low and Catherine wanders towards Ian staggering in her high heels.

IAN: You all right doll?

CATHERINE: Yeesss, ah think so.

She moves over to Ian and unbuttons her blouse slowly. Then has to hastily retreat to read the paper. (to herself)  Sit on lap and grind up and down with circular motions whilst holding his tie. He will be so overcome with your sexy behaviour that he’ll do anything. In other words, he’ll propose!!!! She staggers forward, trips and smacks her head on the coffee table.

IAN (Rushing over) Doll, doll are you ok?

CATHERINE: Starts howling. It’s all gone wrong. It’s all gone wrong. You’ll never marry me. I thought if I could just get you to propose somehow.

IAN: Steady on, doll.

CATHERINE: And Jenny was ever so helpful with the notes and stuff and I’ve just made a mess of it and my lipsticks smudged and my heels are broken. You don’t love me, anyway. (Howls on).

IAN: (Pauses and reflects then gallantly takes Catherine’s hand) Catherine Robertson Millets Kagoule Train-spotter McPherson, will you be my wife?

CATHEINRE Awwwwwww you don’t mean that, do you?!

IAN: Never meant it more, doll.

CATHERINE: Oh yes! I suppose so, yes!!!!!! (Continues howling.)

 

SCENE 12: JOE in pub with Daz

JOE: Ah a Dazza man a. Good a to see you a man a. The usual please a man a.

DAZ: What do you mean the usual man? You’re never in here man! You don’t have a usual man. Anyway, what are you so happy about man?

JOE: Ah, you are a funny man a. Us a business a owners man a have to stick together a man a. Ah’ll have a martini a and ice a with a dry roasted peanut a.

DAZ: (Looking at him weirdly) Sure you don’t want a pint man? Or mebbes a half pint man. Cocktails are for women man.

JOE: Eh, what are you saying man? My mamma drink ah da cocktail martini every night a for a 95 a years a. Bless a dear old mamma a. She would a be a so proud of me a.

DAZ: Right, man. I’ll get ye a glass o’ wine man and a packet o’ cheese n onion man. And why would your mamma be proud o’ you like man. What have you done man? Made a cappuccino in a clean cup man?

JOE: Ah have a just a secured a the heart of a beautiful woman a. She will be a ma partner through a life a.

DAZ: What man?! Don’t tell me you’re engaged as well, man!

JOE: Ah have plucked a rose from a garden of thorns a. My beautiful woman a. We will a celebrate a here on a Saturday a night man.

DAZ: This is getting out of hand, man. That’ll be 6 pounds 45 please, mate man.

JOE: Ah just a put it on the house a, we are a business partners a man a. And next time you are in the café a you a get a free a slice of pizza from a the specials menu a.

DAZ: Sorry, my mistake man. Losing my thoughts there man.

JOE: Ah that’a OK a. You a busy man a like me a man a.

DAZ: That’ll be 8 pounds 55 please, mate man.

 

SCENE 13: Next morning: Ally and Ian in shop. Tense atmosphere.

ALLY: Ah’ve got a confession to make, mate.

IAN: Eh? Have you? Aye, me too.

Silence.

ALLY & IAN (Together): I’m engaged, mate.

IAN & ALLY (Together): You’re joking!

Pause.

IAN & ALLY (Together): Ah knew it!

Silence.

IAN: Aye, fair play, mate. Congratulations.

ALLY: Same to you, son. Suppose that means bets are off?

IAN: Aye, bets are off.

Shake hands in a formal way, similar to someone exchanging condolences at a funeral.

Anderson storms into the shop clutching lamps, mirror, etc.

ANDERSON: What’s going on in here? You’d think someone had died.

IAN: Och no’ you again – prophet of doom. What do you want?

ANDERSON (Triumphantly) I am returning this pile of shite. Better prophet of doom than nae profit at all – just like yer business. Ha ha ha.

ALLY: How come you don’t want it? It’s quality stuff that.

ANDERSON: Aye, it’s no’ because its crap that ah don’t want it. Its cos I don’t need it.

IAN: But ah thought you were out in the street, homeless, penniless without even a pair of pants?

ANDERSON: Och that was last week. Met this nice wee divorced woman from Bridgeton at the Bingo. She’s taken me in -we got engaged last night. Married life is the way lads. Mark my words, married life is the way.

Exits happily.

ALLY: I give up. Still, good to see the back of him. Where’s Jas by the way? Haven’t seen him for ages the lazy sod?

IAN: Aye, ever since he got engaged he’s not been around.

ALLY: Oh well, we’ll see him tomorrow at his engagement do at the Shaz bar, I suppose.

IAN: No’ so much of his engagement do, our engagement do! That’s three couples!

ALLY: Aye, should be a good night then eh!

IAN: Aye, it should be.

 

 

SCENE 14: Catherine and Jenny together in Jenny’s flat.

CATHERINE: Oh, I can’t believe it, Jenny. The plan went perfectly! Well sort of perfectly.

JENNY: What do you mean, sort of? What happened?

CATHERINE: Oh nothing.

JENNY: Aww did you forget the lines?

CATHERINE: No. Who have you been talking to?

JENNY: C’mon what went wrong?

CATHERINE: Oh, it’s just I think Ian would have liked two cherries instead of just the one.

JENNY: Bet he loved the strip-tease routine. Told you you could do it!!!!

CATHERINE: Yes. I’m a natural. And well done to you too. Fancy Ally falling for the old engaged toilet trick!

JENNY: Yes. Lets not talk about that, eh? Our big secret. Anyway, Ally has insisted he takes me to Paris and gives me a proper bit of sight-seeing; all romantic light with champagne, flowers, chocolates and shopping.

CATHERINE: Oh yes, Ian promised me a proper seeing to too.

JENNY. Yes, I bet he did! I’ll just call Shaz to tell her we want some nice grub down the boozer tomorrow. She’ll be well jealous we’re engaged and she isn’t!

SHAZ: Hullo man is that you Jenny man?

JENNY: Yes, Shazza man. Got a bit of news for you.

SHAZ: Aye a have for you too man.

JENNY: Ally proposed to me last night. I’m engaged and so is Catherine!!!! Told you I’d be engaged before you. Told you. It was dead romantic as well and we’re going to Paris and everything. Anyway, just want to book some food for down the boozer tomorrow night – three engagements to celebrate. Ha ha. Oh and make sure there’s lots of champagne for the boys to buy us.

SHAZ: But Jenny man but I’m…

JENNY: It’s OK Shazza man you can congratulate me tomorrow. Toodlepip!

 

SCENE 15: Pub be-decked with balloons, streamers etc. Party atmosphere.

DAZ: All right arr Ian man. Great to see you man. What can ah get ye man?

IAN: Och just the usual please, mate.

DAZ: On the hoose man. Seeing as it’s a special night for ye, eh?

IAN: Aye, ah suppose so.

DAZ: And you’ll be a bit short as well eh? Time you’ve paid up and that man.

IAN: Err, aye mate. Aye err, right.

JAS: In corner drinking heavily alone.

IAN: Whit’s up wi’ him? Looks rougher than a badgers posterior.

DAZ: (Whispering) Ah don’t know man. He’s been here since Thursday afternoon man. Tanking the bevvy and muttering something about shoving olives and pasta up someone’s ass man.

IAN: Weird. I’ll just go and check him. Think he owes me a pint.

You ok, son? – no seen you for ages you lazy git. Been running that shop single handedly with Ally and he’s useless.

JAS: (muttering to his pint) I’m going to kill him. I’m going to kill him. I’m going to kill him.

IAN: Eh? Aye OK mate I’ll have the same again cheers. All set for the wedding then mate?

JAS: It’s all off. Just wait till I see her. It’s all off.

IAN: Aye, ye don’t look yerself mate and that’s the shortest sentence I’ve ever heard you say.

JAS: It’s all off. I’m going to kill him. It’s all off. I’m going to kill him.

Ally arrives with Catherine, Suzie and Jen. All dressed in party mode and giggling loudly.

JENNY: Champagne garcon Dazza man!

SUZIE: Yeah Champagne!!!! We’re celebrating!

CATHERINE: Oh, I love champagne me. Can we have that bollicker stuff. I saw it on the telly makes you go all squiffy.

SHAZ (From behind bar): Coming up girls man and have laid on a wee buffet man for later man. Nothing much man just roast turkey and cold meat platter, chicken Kiev, steak pies, beef stroganoff, quiche, salmon and pork pies family size man and five desserts man. Don’t want us eating too much man or we’ll be stuffed man before the disco.

JENNY: Oh, what’s that on your finger Shaz man? It’s not what I think it is, is it? Oh it is, isn’t it?

SHAZ: Oh, did I not tell ye? Dazza man proposed yesterday man. (Shoves extravagant ring glistening with diamonds in front of the girls). Oh, and it was ever so expensive as well but Dazza man told me no’ to worry man – We’re in the money!

CATHERINE: Woweeeeee. A bit better than mine, I’ll say.

SUZIE: Aye and mine.

JENNY: (Revealing thin meager ring) Well, mine is much higher quality and diamonds are so much out these days anyway. Granite is the stone for the sophisticated lady. All the rage in Europe.

CATHERINE: Oh Daz. Congratulations Dazza man. Didn’t know you were engaged. Well done, must’ve cost a mint.

DAZ: Aye, err it did man but ahm owed a few grand from a mate man so it’s cool. Looks at Ian. That’s right –waves across pub to Ian

IAN: Aye, er right mate. Aye. (Waves back).

Just then Joe bursts in in a dinner suit, hair greased back moustache waxed clutching bunch of red roses.

JOE: Ah Suzie ma darling a! Ma fiancé a ! Here I am a. Another kiss a , another kiss is all I ask a!

SUZIE: What are you talking about fiancé?…I’m engaged to…

JAS: Sees Joe, picks up bar stool runs towards him and starts hitting him.

You filthy two timing swine of a man, take that!

JOE: Ah mamma mia. Ah.

JAS: And that! And that!

Gives Joe a good doing then faces Suzie. I thought you loved me Suzan I really did. It’s all over now. Tears in eyes. Rushes out of pub.

SUZIE: Jason! Jason! Wait!

IAN: Leave him to it. Let him calm down a bit.

DAZ: What’s all this man? Calm down everyone now man.

(Then to Ian, aggressively): Ah want ma money now man. You owe me 2 grand man.

IAN: Och away wi ye. Ah don’t have that sort of money.

DAZ: You pay up man or yer dead ah mean it man!

IAN: Oh aye? What are you doing to do? They square up to each other. Daz trying to put on a brave  front .

ALLY: Lads, lads, lads! Calm down, we are all friends together.

DAZ: But he owes me 2 grand as you were engaged after Jas. Pay up Ian or ah’ll ahll ahll…

IAN: You’ll what? You’ll what?

DAZ: Ah’ll give you a life time ban man.

IAN: A life time ban?! You dirty low lying cheat! After all the bevvies ahve had just to keep your business going!

ALLY: All bets are off!!!!

DAZ: Eh man? What do you mean?

ALLY: Well you bet I would be first engaged after Jas.

DAZ: Aye man that’s right man and he owes me two grand man!

Ally: Jas is not engaged! You just heard him. It’s all off. Therefore, all bets are off.

SHAZ: What’s all this Dazza man? Betting man? Hitting him with chicken drum-stick. You betting? You only got ma ring ‘cos of a bet man? Right, that’s it man the wedding’s off man. Takes off ring and chucks it in the air. Jenny catches it and puts it on.

DAZ: But Shazza man.

JOE: Arrrrghgggghh. What’s going on a Suzie ah luv you a.

Suzie kicks Joe in the nads. Shaz continues to batter Daz.

IAN: (Turning to Ally and lifting his glass). Here’s to married life man.

ALLY: Here’s to married life.

IAN: Ah tell ye something, mate.

ALLY: What’s that, mate?

IAN: Well, if it wisnae for that Jason neither of us would be engaged.

ALLY: Aye, right enough. (Pause) Aye, right enough.

Pause while they consider the implications of this then look at each other and flee the pub shouting.

ALLY & IAN: Jason! Jason! We’re gonna kill ye!!!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

     

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment