Thursday, 3 January 2013

Episode 4: Recruitment



Boys in the wood

Episode 4

Recruitment

 

 

CAST LIST

ALLY

IAN

JASON

JENNY

CATHERINE

SUSAN

JOE

SHAZ

McCALL

NEWSPAPER MAN

JAKE

HELGA

 

 

SCENE 1: Pub. The three lads are doom and gloom about the business.

IAN: Aye, whit we really need is a face-lift.

JAS: Speak for yourself, matey. Nothing wrong with my facial complexion, smoother than a babies posterior and not a hint of a wrinkle in sight.

IAN: No’ me, ya cheeky bampot ye.

ALLY: Well, you do need one mate. Your face is saggier than a monkeys scrotum. Get your hair dyed while you’re at it. Ginger hair is just not good for business. Puts clients right off. I mean, who’s going to take the advice of a red-haired man when it comes to the finer things in life like hand carved wooden tables and chairs?

IAN: Can you two just shut it and let me finish. I’m talking about the shop. The shop needs a face-lift. A renovation. A bit of interior design. A bit of Lawrence Leyweln Bowen up yer jacksie. That’s what ahm talking about. A bit of updating if ye will. Fen shooey and that. You know, Hong Kong Fooey. Get exotic. Bring in the punters.

ALLY: Tell me you’re not serious. After all that environmental rubbish you boys were into and the Jappo toilet, the last thing we need is any more of that concept.

JAS: Yes fair point, Ally. One should never be readily swayed and influenced by the modern genre especially when one is, after all, trying to purloin old fashioned high quality merchandise of a wooden nature.

IAN: Aye, maybe. Well can you two think of anything better?

Ally and Jas look at each other blankly.

So, useless sods that ye are, what are we going to do? We need the punters in.

Boys slurp deeply into their pints in silence.

SHAZ: Way aye man what are you miserable sods doing man? You’ve been in here four hours and only had one pint.

ALLY: We’re skint, Shazza man.

SHAZ: Don’t gie me any o’ that crap man. You’re no’ getting a free pint. Ah know what yeez are like man. Pretend ye cannae drink the beer, tan most o’ it, just leaving some soup at the bottom man then gie me the puppy dog eyes and say, “Ooh Shazza man this pint is off man ah need another.” Ahm no having it man ah tell ye man. Even if ye gob in it and say it was Dazza man.

IAN: But Dazza always gobs in it.

SHAZZA: Aye mebbes, but that’s not the point man.

ALLY: Look Shazza man, we have a problem Houston. We are doing el crappo with the business and need to rake in some dosheroonie. Any chance of a free top up on credit like?

SHAZZA: Oh, a see man. Ye want ma advice man?

JAS: Yes, that would be extremely helpful, Sharon. Always appreciate a bit of a pointer in terms of a unilateral direction to go down the highway of life. Pray continue, you young business lady landlord of the year.

SHAZZA: Here’s ma advice man.

Boys gather round eagerly. Shazza beckons them over in a conspirational, whispered tone.

Listen carefully, man. Here’s ma advice…(boys are all ears)…Sling yer bloody hook man and drink somewhere else!

 

 

SCENE 2: Joe’s café

Joe smoking behind counter and drinking coffee. Puts down his paper (open at page 3 ) when he sees the boys.

JOE: Ah come in the boys. A great a to a see you a. Been a long time a. How is a Suzie a Jas a?

JAS: She is tickety boo and dandy thank you for your polite enquiry, Mr Joe sir, proprietor and authentic Italian ambassador for this fine establishment.

ALLY: What he’s trying to say, Joe, is can we have a few coffees on the house, mate? We’re going through a bit of a rough patch with the business.

JOE: Ah you are a naughty boys a. But a like you a. Old Joe a fix you up a coffee a. No problem a. And maybe you could do me a favour in a return a Jas a.

JAS: Your desire is my wish my old gum drop of streaky Italian prossechatta served on a bed of buffalo mozzarella from the heart of the Tuscan valley.

JOE: Just ask a da Suzie to a come in a soon a.

JAS: Eh why?

JOE: Errr…. a she a forgot her a hand bag a.

JAS: No problemato Joe, I’ll take it to her.

JOE: No, ah. It is errr a surprise a handbag a. Just ah tell her to come in a.

IAN: Can you guys shut it. We’re supposed to be here to come up with a new business plan, not talk about bloody handbags. Pass us the paper Joe – check the footie scores.

JOE: There you go ah Ian a.

Paper is open on page three. Ian gawps at the buxom bird of the day.

IAN: That’s it! That’s it! Ah’ve got it. I have got it. Just call me a bloody genius. Ah know how we can turn the business round!

 

Scene 3: Catherine’s flat all girls there flicking through magazines

JENNY: Ooooh there’s some lovely stuff in here. Really could do with a new wardrobe for the summer.

CATHERINE: What do you mean? Ally just got you a new one.

SUZIE: She’s not talking about that kind of wardrobe, daftie. She’s talking about clothes. New clothes, aren’t you, Jenny?

JENNY: Yes, of course I am.

CATHERINE: Oh. I thought you meant like a wooden wardrobe made of er wood. Don’t see the point of getting new clothes really, do you? Waste of money if you ask me.

SUZIE: Of course it’s not. A woman’s got to look good for her man.

CATHERINE: Och away, jeans and t-shirt is all you need. What’s all the fuss about?

JENNY: (Horrified.) What?!!!! Clothes are the most important thing about a woman next to her boobs and shoes. It’s an expression of class, of chic, of style, an extension of the soul. Think Gucci, Versace, Donna Karan and Stella McCartney. Sheer quality.

CATHERINE: Och aye, maybe you’re right. I always get my knickers from Marks and Sparks and my cardies from Millets.

Jenny snorts in indignation, returns to her magazine.

SUZIE: Anything in particular you’re looking for Jenny?

JENNY: Dreamily .Don’t know really (pause). Everything, I suppose.

SUZIE: Sounds like it’s time for us girls to go shopping!

JENNY: YEAH, SHOPPING!!!! Jenny jumps up and down and flings the magazine behind her. We deserve a treat. Come on. Lets’ go!

SUZIE: Hmmm, hold on a minute …

JENNY: What? We’ve only got 6hours and forty three minutes till they close! Quick!

SUZIE: Well, we’re a wee bit short of cash at the mo. Business at the boys isn’t going too well.

JENNY: Oh.

CATHERINE: Och, away with you. It’s not that bad. Ian sold a cushion yesterday. More cold beans on bread, anyone?

 

SCENE 4: Boys in Ian’s flat drinking cans of beer.

ALLY: It’s brilliant, mate. Absolutely brilliant.

JAS: Yes, I must confess, quite an outstanding notion, Ian. For a man of your talents you have indeed excelled yourself in logical thought processes, vision and inventiveness.

IAN: Er. Aye. Thanks. Er. Lads.

ALLY: Ah should have thought of it myself. It’s what all the punters want. It’s all they care about. Ah mean when ye think about it. When you go shopping you want a maximum pleasurable experience.

JASON: Yes, that is most correct. Interestingly, marketing surveys show that important items should always be on the left hand side of the customer as they enter the shop. However, that fact is in no way intended to detract from Ian’s most splendid idea.

SCENE 5: Ian round at newspaper to place ad. Argument with bespectacled old man to Ian’s ad is non-pc!

Ian: Whit dae ye mean ahm a sexist?

MAN: Look, for the fourth time, you can not refer to the female species in a derogatory manner in today’s society.

IAN: Eh? Come again?

MAN: Look, you’re proposed advert is unacceptable to our publication.

IAN: Whit are you saying? It cannae go in the paper?

MAN: (getting angry.) Yes. Of course it can’t.

IAN: But why?

MAN: It’s too sexist!

IAN: But it’s no’. It’s factual and short to the point.

MAN: Look, we’re not printing that.

IAN: What’s wrong with it?

MAN: For heaven’s sake man – look at it. Read it yourself.

IAN (Reads the ad and nods.) It’s perfect! Wrote it maself so ah did.

MAN: Give it here! Now listen! “Blonde burd wi big breasts wanted tae work in total quality furniture shop. Burds fae Sweden preferred. Nice arse a bonus but not essential. No experience necessary.” Is not acceptable. Now get out!

IAN: Suit yerself ya stubborn old speccy git. Ah’ll take ma business elsewhere!

MAN: Right ye are then.

IAN: (Heading for door): Haud on a minute, haud oan a minute. Ah recognise you, don’t I? You were in the papers.

MAN : No. I don’t think so. Now, if you don’t mind, on your way!

IAN: Aren’t you that durty wee basturd that got caught hand jiving in the woods next tae that couple in the ford Cortina?

MAN: (Going red.) Certainly not! I don’t know what you’re talking about.

IAN (Bolder.) Aye it was you. Ah knew Ah recognised ye. Ya filthy swine.

MAN: Get out.

IAN: Not on yer nelly. Do you want me tae tell yer boss?

MAN: Ok ok. I’ll put the advert in. Now just sod off!!

 

SCENE 6: Suzies flat. Jas and Susan having candle-lit dinner together. Jas brings up hand bag at Joes.

JASON:Sooozin?

SUSAN:Yes, Jason?

JASON: Sooozin?

SUSAN: Yes Jason, what is it?

JASON: I was just wondering, Sooozin.

SUSAN: Oh for heaven’s sake, Jason – out with it!

JASON: You do love me, don’t you Sooozin.? I said, you do love me, Sooozin?

SUSAN: Of course I do darling. What’s brought that on?

JASON: Oh nothing.

SUSAN: C’mon, what is it?

JASON: No really, Soooozin. I don’t want to talk about it. I’m staying Zippy. Zippy and Bungle closed and quiet, like you’re always telling me to zip it.

SUSAN: Don’t be so silly –out with it man!

JASON: What? Now Soozin?!!!! (excitedly reaching for flies).

SUSAN: Not that “out with it”, stupid.

JASON: My lips are sealed. Big fat seal seal, arf arf arf. I say nothing.

SUSAN: Jason, for goodness sake, out with it!!!!!

JASON: No, I’m not talking. Oh all right then well it’s Joe he’s got your handbag and he fancies you and I think he wants to have an affair with you if he’s not having one already and he’s a womaniser and he looks at page three and he’s slimey and I’ve seen the way he looks at you and he wants to shag you and he fancies you there’s a lot of dirty men out there who think of nothing else but boobs and bums which I certainly would never do Soozin as I love you I’ve only got eyes for you Soozin and Joe’s got your handbag. He’s got your handbag, Soozin. He’s got your hand bag.

SUSAN: Woah, woah down there.

JASON: And it’s the special blue one with yellow stripes at regular 43 degree angles interspaced by 2.44 mm in the x- direction. The one I bought for our seventh Hawaiian pizza with artichokes and mushroom anniversary. Remember you said any time we had Hawaiian pizza with artichokes and mushroom that you would think of me.

SUSAN: Jason, I must have left it in the café. I’ve been looking for it everywhere.

JASON: It cost me 75 pounds and ninety nine pence which back in those days would be worth the equivalent of 223 pounds and 15 pence and you said it was the most romantic gesture and the most distinctive hand bag ever I can’t believe you had an affair with Joe and he’s all greasy and slimey and …

SUSAN: Will you just shut up!!!! I am not having an affair with Joe! I left my hand bag in the café. It’s you I love. It’s you I love.

JASON: (Pausing) what you really accidentally, by way of a random occurrence, as in a slip of human intelligence when one is pre-occuppied with non worldly thoughts and one might consider oneself lost in the moment, left it in Joes?

SUSAN: Yes!!!!

JASON: Oh. ….(Silence.) Do you still love me?

SUSAN: Of course I do. Come here you. (Long kiss.) I’ve only got eyes for you.

 

SCENE 7: World of Wood. Interview 1 typical Glasgow gallus gal chav.

ALLY: And so, er, Ms McCall, what makes you interested in this position?

MCALL: Whit do ye mean about ma position. Ahm sitting properly like ah wos told tae dae at school.

ALLY: The job, Ms McCall. The job.

McCall: Ahve always wanted tae work in a shoap and ah want some dosh for ma fellas habit, know?

ALLY: Oh, I see. Right.

JAS: Permit me, if I may. Perhaps I can offer a more gentile approach to questioning towards someone who by all means and purposes is clearly a practitioner of the local dialect and has a care element about her persona.

McCALL: (Staring hard at Jason.) Aye. Er right mate. Ur you English?

JASON: I fail to see what nationality has to do with this meeting here today.

McCALL: Ah hate the English me.

IAN: Haud oan a minute, hoad oan a minute. We’re going way off track here. Now Ms lady malarckey ma lad. Where abouts in Sweden are you actually from?

McCALL: Sweden? Ahm no fae Sweden. Ahm fae Scostoun.

IAN: Oh, the advert clearly says Swedish burds. We want Swedish burds.

McCALL: Aye there wuz a wee mix up. Ah cannae read that well. Ah could see the S and the N in the bit about where you should come fae. Ah thought ye meant Scostoun, no’ Sweden. Ah’ve goat a nice arse though. D’ye want tae see it?

ALLY: Right, right, right. Let’s stop there! Let’s do a wee scenario thing, eh?

McCALL: Whit? Ah’m no intae that group stuff. Wan o’ yeez at a time mebbe but no’ that English bloke. No way.

ALLY: Role playing. Role playing. I’m talking about role playing, not a gang bang!

McCALL: I’ve hud ma lunch already, ta very much.

ALLY: No, no, no. (Drawing deep breath. Let’s pretend I’m a customer and you’re trying to sell me something (looking round). Like that nice wee lamp over there. I open the door and come in. Then over to you. Ok?

McCALL: Aye. The door. Ah noticed there was wan on the way in, likes.

ALLY: Knock, knock.

McCALL: Eh, whit? Whit is it?

ALLY: Over to you dear. Let’s try again. Knock, knock.

McCALL: Who’s there?

ALLY: Not who’s there!

McCALL (Thinking hard.) Not who’s there who?

ALLY: No, stop! Right, forget that. I’m in the shop now. Ok. You want to sell me the vase, right?

McCALL: Aye. The vase.

ALLY: Oh, excuse me, madam, how much for this exquisite, high quality, Tiffany edition lamp?

McCALL: How should ah know?

JAS (Whispering.) Pretend! Pretend! Just pretend.

ALLY: (Losing patience.) How much is this vase?

McCALL: Och, it’s five thousand bar.

ALLY: Five thousand bar?!! Five thousand bar?! That’s a bit expensive is it not?

McCALL: Piss off then ya tight bastard ye. Ma mans an H-addict ah need the dosh.

IAN (Rising.): Right ye are Ms Mcall. I think we’ve seen all we need to. We’ll call you. Thanks for coming. Great interview.

McCALL: Aye thanks, then. Ah’ll start on Monday.

IAN: No, we’ll call you, remember? Bye bye.

ALLY: Bloody hell. Was that hard work or what?

IAN: Aye. Shocking. No’ exactly what we were looking for, eh?

JAS: Let me shout you gentlemen a pint of Shazza’s finest.

ALLY: Boozer. Good idea.

 

SCENE 8: Girls back at flat: Catherine skimming through paper for jobs.

CATHERINE: Och there’s nothing in here at all, Jenny. Are you really sure you want a job?

JENNY: Of course I don’t want a job. I want the money!

SUZIE: No way would you catch me working, money or no money. Life’s too short.

CATHERINE: Me too. Oh well, there’s nothing in here anyway.

SUZIE: (Grabbing paper.) Are you sure? Friday’s rag usually has loads.

CATHERINE: No, they’re all really strange rubbishy ones. Like “wee Bill knew him well, his loving family, forever in our minds.”

SUZIE: That’s the deaths section you’re on, you nincompoop! Jobs are on page 55.

CATHERINE: Oh, well. How was I supposed to know?

SUZIE: Well, there’s a bit of a clue at the top of the page: “Deaths, births and marriages.”

JENNY (To Suzie.) See anything good?

SUZIE: Hmmmm there’s a few possibilities. Toilet cleaner on Scotrail trains – experience of crap management essential.

JENNY: Sure that’s not the Scotland job? Ha-ha.

SUZIE: Leaves sweeper at Vicky Park – must be able to tolerate winos and general public abuse. Furniture shop in West-end  - let me see…blonde burd wi big breasts, nice arse a bonus.

JENNY: Hold on. I could do that! West-end would be well handy too.

CATHERINE: Wait a minute.

SUSAN: What is it, Catherine? You’ve gone rather pale.

CATEHRINE. No. Surely not. No. It can’t be.

JENNY: What now?

CATHERINE: Hmm. I was just thinking. You don’t think it could be the boys shop, do you?

JENNY: Eh? What. Surely not!

SUSAN: Blonde burd wi big breasts wanted tae work in total quality furniture shop. Burds fae Sweden preferred. Nice arse a bonus but not essential. No experience necessary.”

JENNY: Oh, that’s shocking. So rude.

CATHERINE: Must’ve been Ally or Jason who wrote that. Ian would never do something like that.

SUZIE: Why, the womanising, ogling, little pervert!

JENNY: Don’t think I’ll apply.

SUZIE: Too right you won’t. I’m applying and I’ve got a plan to teach those filthy hypocritical lads a lesson. “Wouldn’t look at another woman – only got eyes for you Soozin” my ass!.

 

SCENE 9: Joes café : Soozin in for hand-bag.

JOE: Ah Susan a, you are a looking beautiful a today a.

SUZIE: Ach behave yourself. I’m only in for my handbag.

JOE: Ah it is like a you a completely divine a. It is soft a like a plastic a like a your skin a and holds treasure a inside a.

SUZIE: You’re just full of it you. Only treasure in there is two sticks of Juicy Fruit.

JOE: A never see a another woman a as beautiful as you a.

SUZIE: Stop it you, you letch of a man.

JOE: But these a feeling a have a, you a have them too a Suize a. I see a the way a you drink a you’re coffee a and look at a me a expectantly a.

SUZIE: Aye, I’m trying to get the bill, you idiot.

JOE: Then a you a deliberately a leave a your handbag a here a so a you can a see me again a. Come a here a Susan a I want a kiss a.

SUZIE: Keep your filthy paws off me or I’ll tell Jas to have you.

JOE: Ah Jas a never a trust a man a. Not all a are as good as a me a.

SUZIE (Grabbing handbag and making for door.) I’m warning you Mr Squadrito, one more move and you’re a cappuccino. Get it!

JOE: Ah Suzie a you are a more a beautiful than a ever when a you are a angry a.

Suzie slams door and stomps off.

 

Scene 10: World of Wood. Interview Helga, a Swedish transvestite.

ALLY: Oh, I think we’re in for a cracker here, lads. Helga something, you say Jason?

JAS: That is correct, oh wise and all perceptive one. A most interesting character. Hobbies include ornithology…

IAN: Whit’s that?

ALLY: Bird watching, you ass.

IAN: Oh brilliant – love a bit of hot lesbo action me.

JAS: (ignoring them.) Hails originally from Malmo, drives a Volvo and likes Abba.

ALLY: Sounds top, mate. Hey that’s the door. That must be her. Now don’t blow it lads, best behaviour and don’t salivate too much.

IAN:  Don’t worry, Ally – she’ll be bowled over by my smooth, silky tongued charm and wisdom. I’ll get the door.

Ian opens the door. Stops, mouth open. Collecting himself, he declares…

IAN: Sorry mate, no bins need emptying today. If you don’t mind, must dash, I have someone very sexy, I mean important, to interview.

HELGA: (Deep voice.) Hallo. I am Helga. I am from Sweden. I have coming for a job.

IAN: No, sorry mate, there must’ve been a mistake.

HELGA: Mistake I am not understanding. This is World of Wood?

IAN: Aye, it is.

HELGA: I have an interviewing at 2pm.

IAN: No. No. No no no.

HELGA: Why you say no no no no?

IAN: But you’re a bloke and a bogging one at that. You’ve got a ‘tache and everything.

ALLY: (Kicking Ian.) Pardon my colleague. He is how you say?- a bit dim-witted. C’mon in.

HELGA: I understand. It is very common complaint with the man with small penis.

IAN: Eh?. Whit did he say?

JAS: Gentlemen, gentlemen oh, and er, lady. Let us proceed in a professional and dignified manner. If no-one minds, I will commence the questioning. I understand you are inclined toward the pastime of ornithology. Pray tell, what is your favourite fluttering species?

IAN: Dickie birds, ah bet.

ALLY: (Angry whisper.) Shut it you or we’ll get sued for discrimination!

HELGA: I have always admired the blue tits. So I bought a pair myself.

IAN: Aye, so we see.

HELGA: Pardon me?

ALLY: My colleague was just saying, excellent choice, he’s a big tit man himself.

HELGA: Oh. Could you show me to the ladies, bitte?

IAN: Sure you don’t want the gents?

ALLY: For the last time, can you no’ just shut it!

Helga staggers over to toilet in long boots with high heels.

JAS: I really think she’s a splendid candidate.

IAN: Aye if ye like yer birds wi balls and hairy arses.  Shouting to toilets. Just see yourself out, girl, we have another important appointment in the city. We’ll call you.

Right, ah need a pint.

ALLY: Aye, me too. Your shout.

JAS: Are you sure you won’t reconsider?

 

SCENE 11: Three lads down pub; Ian’s mobile rings

SUZIE (Putting on heavy Swedish accent.) Allo, can I be speaking with the Ian, please? I be understanding he is a big handsome man.

IAN: Aye yer right there doll. Is that the porno shop? Now’s not a good time.

SUZIE: Sorry, I am not knowing what you are a talking about. I am from Sweden.

IAN: Aye ah could tell, doll. You’re more Swedish than a toblerone.

JAS: They are actually made in Switzerland, the capital of most excellent confectionary from the early 18th century. Switzerland despite it’s neutrality during war times has flourished…

IAN: (Furiously.) Shut it! Can’t you see ah’m on the phone. Sorry about that doll. Some people have nae manners.

SUZIE: Oh, I am loving a big strong man who is being so masterful. You Scotsmen are so large like a caber tossers and with wonderful accent of sexy like a double oh seven and I am the miss funny penny. Blonde girls with heaving bosoms like me just get bowled over by them.

IAN: Aye, fair do doll. Look ahm really busy here in a business meeting. How exactly can I help you?

SUZIE: I would like to be coming and have meeting with you and see how I could help the big handsome Scottish man with the cabre. I am all alone from Sweden and need a man to help looking after me.

IAN: Aye ah see. Ah see. Are you fat?

SUZIE: I am being 5 ft 9 with 36DD boobies and a very slimming waist with tightest buttocks. I could working very well with your wood.

IAN: Steady on doll. That’s a bit fast is it no? I’ve no even met ye. (Pausing.) Did you say 36DD?

SUZIE: Yes, they have got smaller in the winter of Scotland. They need a lot of warming up by man of business in success with the good hands.

IAN: Woweeee.

SUZIE: But we will have interviewing for you to meeting me? I hope I am how you say “up for the job”.

IAN: Ahm sure you are, doll. Ahm sure ye are. The job. Ah, the job. The job. Of course. The job.

SUZIE: Please what you say, please? I have degree from Stockholm University in secretarial studies and body massage. We could discuss in sauna. Please just give me interviewing for a chance. Please.

IAN: No problemato doll. You’ll fit the bill very nicely indeedly doodly. Let’s say tomorrow morning at 9:00 O’clock. (hangs up and turns to boys with a massive grin). My round!!!! Half and a half all round.

JAS: Who was that? If I may be permitted to make such a general enquiry. If one might probe in such a direction with a degree of enthusiasm that correlates well with the width of smile on your facial expression.

IAN: That, my friends, was our new recruit!

ALLY: What do you mean, “new recruit?” We’ve not interviewed anyone yet apart from those two numpties.

IAN: Believe me lads, this one’s a cracker. A cracker ah tell ye. A true genuine Swedish bit of tottie. Shazza! Where’s they whiskies?

ALLY: Hold on a minute. Ah thought you were skint?

IAN: Now, now. For you boys I’d spend my last kroner.

JAS: Might I be so bold as to utter the colloquial term related to canines testicles?

IAN: Eh? Come again, mate?

JAS: Bollox.

 

SCENE 12: Girls in flat: Suzie getting dressed up with Jen and Catherine assisting.

SUZIE: Are you sure this blonde wig looks all right? Feels a bit funny to me.

CATHERINE: Aye, right enough you look like a bit of a robot gone wrong.

JENNY: No, she does not. You’ll look super, girl. Remember just think Swedish, Swedish. Be confident. Confident, girl.

SUSIE: Hello, my name is Susan. I am from Sveden.

JENNY: You can’t say “Susan”, that’s not very Swedish, is it?!

CATHERIE: Aye, you’re right Jenny, Lulu is a much better name.

JENNY: Lulu? Are you mad?

CATHERINE: Aye, the singer, Lulu. She was Swedish, was she not?

SUZIE: I think you’ve gone a bit nuts, she’s from Glasgow not Sweden.

CATHERINE: Oh.

SUZIE: I’ll call myself Ingrid. Allo my name is Ingrid I am from Sveden. Hmmm. I’m not convinced.

JENNY: Here – drink this and you’ll be fine. (Hands her a large glass of red wine). Down in one and off you go! Oh and don’t forget you’re false boobies.

CATHERINE: Good luck, Suzie. Ooops, I mean Ingrid!

 

SCENE 13: Boys back in Ian’s flat in very high spirits.

IAN: (excitedly) Tell ye what, lads. We’ll be well minted with this new bit of fluff in the shop. Punters’ll go ape- you wait and see. She does massages and everything.

JASON: Does that include full body tai-chi-esque deep muscle therapy or is it more focused on a spiritual yoga-hindustani meets Tibet variety. Not that I have a preference you understand, I am more considering the implications for our perceived discerning customers, whilst being affluent and with a comparatively positive cash flow, our customer demographic is strongly opinioned in such matters.

IAN: (To Ally.) Could you punch him or will I? Just shut it. Why can’t you talk like a normal human being?

JASON: I think you will find, my learned friend, that my parlance is indeed in-line with human physical features, having an oral cavity, bronchial units for expression of breath and a vast dialect. However, there are animals on this planet who’s oratory skills have more in common with uneducated, modern day Neanderthal man, such as your good self.

IAN: Eh, come again? Are you taking the piss? (To Ally.) Is he taking the Michael?

ALLY: Just can it, both of you. If we’re going to be that minted… Guess what?

IAN and JAS: What?

ALLY: We’re going on a dirty big holiday to celebrate.

IAN: Holiday? Holiday….aaaah holiday. Been so long since I had one I’ve forgotten what it is. Just me on the beach getting lagered on cocktails, Cat sucking ma toes and feeding me grapes. Footie on in the background. “ Oh, do pass me another caviar canopy, le doll, before we retire to the Villa for some rumpy-pumpy”

JAS: I don’t understand how one could have any form of electrical circuitry in a silicone based environment. Earth and mother nature is what we need.

IAN: (Ignoring Jas.) Cracking idea, Ally. An all expenses paid holiday in the sun. Just us and the girlies. Tops!

ALLY: And my Amigos three, yer old da’ here has come up trumps (flourishes airline tickets from inside jacket). We are off to the Costa Del Prada for a weeks golfing!

JAS: But.

ALLY: Shut it, you! Don’t ask about the cash. Let’s just say it’s from future earnings.

JAS: But (rummaging around trousers).

IAN: Ya beauty, a wee holiday! But the the girls don’t like golf.

ALLY: Who said anything about the girls? They’re not coming. Ah could only afford three tickets.

JAS: (Raising his voice) But I’ve gone and bought us three Glastonbury tickets for the Glastonbury festival of performing arts and entertainments. There’s some very good poets one should see there not to mention political orators from…

IAN: Tenting in a field of mud in the peeing rain at some folk festival, yer ass, it’s luxury holiday for a man of my stature. Think about it. This Swedish girlie will be raking the dosh in and she’s got a degree in secretarial management so she’ll run the show no probs. We might as well large it up!

ALLY: Tell ye what Jas, me old mucker, we can give the hippy tickets to the girlies. They like the great outdoors.

JAS: Hmmmm, maybe.

IAN: Ah think the girlies’ll go nuts wi us though. Them stuck in the flat while we’re larging it in Spain on the bevvy, ah mean the golf course.

ALLY: Aye, ye might be right. Hold on. Jas, maybe you’re not so mad after all. We give the girlies the Glasto tickets as a wee treat and wee pee off to Spain. We’ll just pretend we’re at work… they’ll feel guilty for leaving us behind.

IAN: Brilliant! – they’ll be none the wiser. “Sorry doll, cannae hear ye on the phone a think a cow is eating the line.” Even better, we’ll get sympathy shags and everything when they get back.

ALLY: Are we super stars or what?!

JAS: Not sure about this lads.

 

SCENE 14: World of Wood. Boys all suited and booted up for interview. Suzie dolled up as Ingrid.

IAN: Ah, you must be Ingrid. Enchante le doll. (Kisses her hand). A fine model even bigger than I imagined.

SUZIE: Sorry, please Mr Ian.

ALLY: Oh, nothing, nothing. Ignore him. Have a seat over here (frantically brushes chair and removes pizza box.).

JAS: My gosh, I know this is utterly inappropriate and tantamount to being illegal but I must say in a manner of speaking if I may at all be concise in this particular setting where we are today, that you, Mrs Ingrid woman, look simply quite stunning.

SUZIE: (Glares then smil,es.) Ah thanking you. You must be the one with the name of Jason. I do begging your pardon, Mr Ian but may I have a little drink for consuming?

IAN: Certainly Ingrid, with the big boobies. I mean, Ingrid, what would you like? Tea/ coffee?

SUZIE: A tea please.

ALLY: I’ll get it whilst you boys drool. How’d do you take it, Ingrid?

SUZIE: I like men in all positions.

ALLY: Eh?

IAN: Ho, ho, ho that’s my girl. Very dirty, Ingrid. Very dirty.

ALLY: (Realising.) The tea, I mean the tea!

SUZIE: Ah the tea. Ah is very strange I am only person in the world to have tea this way. I must have half a teaspoon of leaves of tea in a strainer for the tea with 99.95% fat-free milk and 1 and 2/3 spoons of demerara sugar.

JAS: What? half a teaspoon of tealeaves in a tea strainer with 99.95% fat-free milk and 1 and 2/3 spoons of demerara sugar?!!!! That’s exactly how I take it! That’s amazing. (Drooling.) You are a most talented lady. Hmmm- you look strangely familiar. Perhaps I have seen you at the museum society or the local Edwardian book-shop? Hmmmm most deliciously intriguing. Magnetic even.

SUZIE: Thank you, Mr Jason, you are making me feel, how you say, right at home at ease mother brown. You are a terrible man for the ladies. However I am assumptions that a man of your intellectual and rugged features is married yes?

JAS: Well one is always married, isn’t one? One could be married to nature to flowing water or to the earth itself.

SUZIE: I was meaning to a woman of the world.

JAS: (Lengthy pause) No.

IAN to Ally: That’s the quickest thing I’ve ever heard him say in his life.

ALLY: (Whispering) and I’ve never heard him lie before. I think he’s in love.

IAN: Right, enough of this shenanigans. You’ve got the job!

SUZIE: I have ze job? Wow, that is so fantastic! Let me lean over my heavy chest and kiss you all with my succulent lips on the cheek face.

IAN: Aye, awright then. Me first!

SUZIE: But holdings on a minute, you haven’t asked me any questions.

IAN: Don’t worry about that, doll, you’ll do. Ah, here’s one. Can you start tomorrow morning?

SUZIE: You’re bloody right I will.

ALLY: Sorry, what was that?

SUZIE: I mean, I would love to. You are such lovely gentlemen peoples.

 

SCENE 15: Girls in Joes café. Suzie still in disguise. Joe in lust!!!! Suzie reviews interview success.

JENNY: So how’d it go, how’d it go?

SUZIE: Perfectomondo. They fell, hook, line and sinker, dirty wee men that they are.

JENNY: We’ll teach them. They’re going to have to treat us big time to get out of this one.

CATHERINE: Oh, I’m sure Ian wouldn’t be involved in any leery behaviour.

SUZIE: Don’t kid yourself, he was the worst! Well, next to Jason, that was. He almost proposed to me. Think he’s in love with me.

JOE: A Catherine and a Jenny a who is this a lovely looking a beautiful a woman a. A have not a seen you a before a. (Kisses Susan’s hand.) You have eyes like a the moon a and a lips a like a curly-wurly a. But you a look a like a have a seen you a before a. Must a been on a painting a or in a dream a about heaven a.

SUZIE: Och, away ye go! I mean, I am from Sweden this new country please leave me to my friends from Glasgow.

Joe slithers away.

SUZIE: Honestly, men! – you just can’t trust them!

 

SCENE 16: World of Wood. Suzie turns up for work. Boys all over her.

Catherine and Jenny peering in through window. Catherine be-decked with sophisticated camera, rolls of film round her neck, large flash.

JENNY: Right, as soon as you see them lusting after Ingrid we get a photo, right, Catherine?

CATHERINE: Who’s Ingrid?

JENNY: Suzie!!!! Focus girl, focus.

CATHERINE: Yes, Jenny, I am ready captain. Roger and out, over. What button is it again?

Inside the shop.

IAN: Ah, on behalf of the management we would like to officially welcome Ingrid to our humble wee store.

INGRID: Ah, I am thanking you very much for the welcome introducing.

IAN: Aye and, er, the boys and I, ah mean the management, thought we’d run through the rules of the place.

INGRID: Zat is a good idea I am all ears and listening.

IAN: (Head down reading hastily scribbled list.) Right. No peeing in the sink. Bring yer own bog roll in. Fridge is for lager only. No fighting over TV  - sports channel left on at all times even if we’re not on a tea break.

INGRID: Ah, ah see.

IAN: If ye don’t get paid in time consider it nae bother and do not hassle the management. Aye, and finally…

SUZIE: Yes, I am paying attention very strictly.

IAN: This was actually Jason’s idea.

SUZIE: Ah, the clever one with a love of good tea.

IAN: Aye, he suggests we start each day with a register.

SUZIE: Good idea to me sounds in my ear holes.

IAN: And er a firm handshake between the boys.

(Demonstrates by shaking Ally and Jason’s hands).

SUZIE: Yes, good idea.

IAN: And er a big kiss for the girl.

SUZIE: Eh?

Before she knows it Jas, Ian and Ally can resist it no more and all dive forwards to give Suzie a kiss. Jas trips in his rush and lands body down on Suzie.

Meanwhile, outside shop…

JENNY: Quick! Photos, now!!!!

CATHERINE: (Reeling off loads) Got it!

JENNY: Right, let’s storm the shop. (Bursts through door.) This is a raid!

You boys, back against the wall. Suzie over there.

IAN: Eh? Suzie?

Suzie smiles and peels off wig and pulls out false boobs. Then she goes bright red and starts hitting Jas with her yellow hand-bag.

SUAIZE: You filthy, cheating, swine you. Take that.

JAS: Ouch, I can explain and that.

ALLY: (Looking at front door he sees McCall and her man storming in.) In the name of the wee man. Run!

MCCALL: (To her man, Jake.) It’s that filthy pervert there (pointing to Jas.). He’s Unglish get him, Jake!

JAKE: (To Jas) Ho you! Have you been messing wi’ ma wee wuman?

JAS: No, I have not!!!!!

SUZIE: (More furiously.) What? Another woman! After all you said?! (Hitting him hard.) Take that and that.

Jake puts boot in too.

SUZIE: You boys owe us big time. (Looking at damaged hand bag from beating Jas.) I want a new one for that.

CATHERINE: I want a holiday!

JENNY: I want spending money!

IAN: Stop!!!! Stop! We’ll do a deal. We’ll send you girlies on a luxurious outdoor event by way of vacation.

SUZIE: Aye, pull the other one.

ALLY: No, it’s true. Jas give her the tickets.

JAS: Ian’s got the Spain tickets not me. I’ve only got the Glasto ones.

Ally head in hands collapses to floor.

SUZIE: (Grabbing the Glasto tickets.) Huh, if you think us girls are going there, think again. What’s all this about Spain tickets?

IAN: You idiot, Jas. Can you not ever just keep yer trap shut?

JENNY: Ian, hand over the Spain tickets.

CATHERINE: Oooooooh always fancied Spain me.

JAKE: Aye and don’t forget me and ma wee doll.

IAN: Well, no way are you going to Spain, mate. Don’t let animals through customs. Anyway, more like rehab for you.

JAKE: Don’t worry, pal. Ah don’t need an aeroplane where ahm going. Ah helped maself tae the till on the way in. Syringe oblivion for me!

The three lads look at each other despairingly then start slapping each other.

ALLY: (To Ian.) It’s all your bloody fault – your daft idea. Recruitment!

IAN: (Slapping Jas.) We would’ve got away with it if it wasn’t for you not recognising your own bloody wife! We’ve lost the takings and our holiday.

JAS (To Ally.): It’s his fault for asking for the tickets.

SUZIE, JENNY & CATHERINE: (Laughing and marching out together.) Men!!!! Hey vie vora Espagne!

SUZIE: Oh, and one other thing, lads.

IAN, ALLY, JAS: Yes?

SUZIE: I resign!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment